Various

Hi Josh,

with Duncan staying at Spurs, there can be many many possibilities like:
1)Grant Hill may back out of Magic deal and sign (are u ready for this?)
with the spurs!!! The Spurs are (I think) about 10mil under the cap (b4
resigning Duncan and Elliot). Without Duncan at Orlando, Hill's
disneyland career might mirror those of Charles "no rings" Barkley. I
think Hill is going thru the same situation again as with his 6
"rebuilding' years at Detriot.

2)So what if Magic can land Hill and 2 other top FA (take your pick from
T-Mac, Eddie Jones, Mo Taylor, Jalen Rose, Rggie Miller - Chris
Webber/Finley next year). Like it or not, they (and everybody) got to go
thru Shaq to get the ring the next few years at least and they got no
center capable. Hill + 2 others (PF or SF or SG) ain't going to get the
holy grail.
Magic will be capped out for next 4 years with the 2-3 max deals given
out, unless they reserve some for next year where Motombo is available.

3)The Heat is reported wanting to go the Orlando route as they can go
20mil under the cap next year, targeting Webber/Finley. So a EJ or T-Mac
signing for the 2.2mil exception there is very possible.

so Chicago might be in panic mode as they may not get their "franchise
FA" this year. That's where "chicago boy" Antione has value, this year
or next (better as BYC status is gone)

I don't think dumping Antione to clear cap room for Croshere is good
move (let me rephrase it - it's a damn STUPID move). You don't clear cap
space for a (above average) role player! you do it if he is a Duncan or
Shaq or Kobe or - you get the idea? - a All-Star, a foundation you want
to build with. Croshere??? Sheeesh, he's just a (very) good role player,
period. Pitino/Wallace should be sacked (actually they should be sacked
long time ago) if they trade Antione for Croshere + cap space (hey we
got to take back cap crap too, like Laettner, you know)

Like I said b4, let's stick with Antoine 1 more season, see how he comes
in this summer (I'll be curious how he would look like in "point guard"
shape???), he seemed to be turning around the corner judging from the
last 2 months of last season.

Next year, with his BYC status gone and hopefully really getting back to
his all-star performance, there will be more possibilities to get more
in returns, though I wouldn't oppose a "improved" Antoine staying a
Celtic for life.

Antione seemed to be turning the corner. Let's wait him out this season.

Hi John,
could I comment a bit player by player:
Patterson - I think he is a bonzi wells type, 6-6 high energy type. I
think we've got that in Griffin. I hope our Kris Klack has improve along
these lines.

O2 - I am really sold on him, by all the pre-draft reports, a lottery
selection. But he slid all the way out of the lottery, out of the first
round, out of many teams' radar. There's got to be something all the
scouts saw that put them off. (I don't think Sonics would have mind if
we asked for Sesar AND Os for the 2 picks but why didn't wallace?)
Remember Sam Mack, SG for Houston, Grizzlies, Warriors and Sonics? I
thought he was a pretty good player solid citizen and all, but why did
all these teams cut/trade him? Recently they found him with drugs in his
car trunk. Maybe the insiders know something that we guys do not.

S Williams - is he like the Shammgod guy with the funny release?

Lorenzo Wright - cap killer! 42 mil for 7 years! If you guys can't stand
battie's for 25mil/7 year, you'll go bald with this guy.

Alan Henderson - I think we've got too much SF already. hey another cap
killer at 45mil/7year.

Jason Terry - unproven yet, I think Pitino has got his hands full with
so much projects on his roster.

J Jackson - good pickup but I don't know if this is the "veteran"
presence you want in our locker room. maybe I'm wrong.

thanks for listening.

I think Amaechi likely gone to whomever's offering 6.6mil/3 year
contract. I don't think he would fit in Pitino's pressing style. Think
of him as a pot bellied Fortson.

Outlaw probably staying and be rewarded for his patience/sacrifice.

Wallace probably gone to the highest bidder, but I am weary of him being
a flash in the pan, ala Ike Austin.

I think if Magic would only really want Fort when 2 of the 3 above signs
elsewhere, and Orlando could/would probably sign Fort without going thru
trades as they are under the cap.

I think the ideal situation for us is for a no.1 pick/s + a 1
year-left-contract player for Fort.

I think this Mercer talk originates from the interview Globe's Holley
(or May?) had with Mercer
I feel that Mercer was just patronizing the interviewer, "no harm saying
I'm available" , just like Croshere's interview with Bulphett on his
availability to the Cs.

I don't think Pitino/Wallace are seriously considering Mercer, due to
team chemistry and Mercer's history of ballhogging. And I feel the rape
case probably done Mercer and Billups in , in the eyes of "character
builder" Pitino. They will never play for the celtics as long as Pitino
is here. I think.

> From: Way Of The Ray <wayray@ix.netcom.com>
> ... Danny Fortson, the free-agent power forward who played with the
> Boston Celtics, has been in contact with the Magic about signing a deal.
> It's still unclear how a contract could be worked out. ..... Ron
> Mercer's name has been tossed around the league. He said he would like
> to return to Boston and play for the Celtics, but the latest word is
> that he may sign with the New Jersey Nets. With the retirement of center
> Jayson Williams, Mercer could sign a $3.8 million disabled player
> exception.

This Orlando reporter is worst than Peter May at the sporting news
(where
he said Demmarr Johnson can provide a inside presence!!! hah!) It's been
reported the Nets WOULD NOT be given a injury exception as the papers
were filed a year late! (Update me if I am wrong Ray). So Mercer can't
get more than 2.2mil from the Nets.