Pitino Attempts to Dispel Rumors

Another team, another Rumor!
Josh

Pitino attempts to dispel rumors

By Shira Springer and Mark Blaudschun, Globe Staff, 7/13/2000

When Notre Dame started its search yesterday for a men's basketball coach to replace Matt Doherty, it became the third high-profile program to post a coaching vacancy in the last five weeks. As with earlier openings at the Universities of Miami and North Carolina, Celtics coach Rick Pitino was mentioned as a possible candidate. In an attempt to end constant rumors surrounding a possible return to the college ranks, Pitino issued a statement.

''As I said three months ago, I have no intention on leaving the Boston Celtics. My full focus is on that responsibility,'' said Pitino, who is out of town with his family. ''Please stop mentioning my name when it comes to college vacancies. Based on what I said three months ago, I am not leaving the Boston Celtics.''

Sources at Notre Dame said the school was focusing its search on Oregon coach Ernie Kent, but eventually could give Pitino a ''courtesy call'' to gauge his interest.