Re: The Fort & Free Agents

>From: "Jim Meninno" <jim_meninno@hotmail.com>
>
>If you're going to run a
>pressing team, why trade for Kenny Anderson, Vitaly Potapenko and Danny
>Fortson?  It makes no sense.  Now we are hearing that we need to get more
>athletic.  That the reason the team lost so much was that they pressed less
>than any Pitino team since he was "in diapers".  Isn't that just precious?
>Now, honestly, the first year of Pitino WAS the most enjoyable of his
>tenure.  I can't believe, however, that we wasted two years of development
>acquiring talent that was objectively better than what we had, but not
>suited to the intended game plan.  But, there we are.

Exactly.  The thing is, if you take each one of the guys you mention,
you can have it make sense on an individual level:  Celts needed to
upgrade the PG position, so they get KA.  They needed a bruiser
inside and a guy who could make some jumpers from the center spot, so
they get V.  They need rebounding help, so they trade for Fort.  The
only problem is that, given that type of talent, you can't run your
"monkey outbreak" defense because it relies on quicker defenders than
these guys, as well as a shotblocker, which you don't have.  So in
the big context, you're absolutely right: it makes no sense.  Maybe
it's time to change the game plan.  I was happy at the Fortson trade,
not only because Fortson was/is a good talent (fourth in the NBA in
bounds at the time we got him), but because I (foolishly) assumed
that Il Duce would therefore be playing Walker at some three, and
maybe even Battie at some power forward, and that the plan had
transformed from a switching, matchup hell to a more individually
responsible defense, where opposing players are doubled only when
necessary,

Foolish me, I was thinking it was _good_ that we didn't press more
this season (i.e. give up more transition layups).  It's gotten to
the point where, when I look at player that might be a good fit in
Boston, I don't think to myself, "How can this player be effective?"
but rather, "How will Pitino use this player?"

>From: "Cecil Wright" <cecil@hfx.eastlink.ca>
>
>I thought Fortson had an injured foot which forced him to miss the first 2
>months of the season.  And then it took some time to get into shape.  Can't
>use him if he isn't in uniform.

True, but even when Fortson was available and apparently injury-free
(the last five months of the season), Pitino used him sparingly, when
he used him.  (When Pitino _did_ give Fort minutes (20-25), Danny
played pretty well.)  You've got a rebounding machine languishing on
the bench, a rebounder who could deliver that all-so-important outlet
pass to spark the transition offense which you boast so much about,
but which fans rarely get to see.  (Of course, if your point guard
would push the ball up with the pass, you'd _really_ be on to
something.)  Fortson's no savior, and, as mentioned, he does have his
liabilities.  The real question is, though, are you going to play
"monkey outbreak" or not?  If so, get players who can play it.  If
not, get players with talent and move on.

Regards,

Bill