Another Fortson to NY Article

Here's another article saying that the Knicks really want Fortson.  I have a feeling that's where he'll end up.

I would really like more than just Childs though.  I really wish we could get Camby, but know that's only a dream.  Maybe a future 1st rounder thrown into the mix too.

Let's wait and see.

Josh

Celts Fotson on Knicks List
By Marc Berman
Talks regarding a potential sign-and-trade for Danny Fortson heated up yesterday, with Knicks GM Scott Layden requesting the Celtics' power forward meet or speak by phone with Jeff Van Gundy and his coaching staff after July 4, The Post has learned.

One league source said the Knicks are "very, very interested" in Fortson. Layden has spoken at least once with Celtics GM Chris Wallace regarding a deal. Wallace is still considering re-signing Fortson for himself, as the Celtics' brass appear split on what to do with the rugged rebounder. "We're looking at all fronts with Danny now," Wallace said.

The beauty of potentially obtaining Fortson in a deal is it still leaves the Knicks with enough trading chips to potentially acquire small forward Grant Hill in a sign-and-trade. Hill decided to spend an extra day in Orlando yesterday and will leave for Detroit today following his recruiting trip. Although Hill has told confidants his next visit will be New York, a date has not been scheduled yet.

Layden initially contacted Fortson's agent, Raymond Brothers, after midnight Friday, within a half-hour of when Fortson officially became a free agent.

Layden has informed Brothers he'd like the coaching staff to get a chance to interview the 24-year-old Fortson sometime after July 4. While the courting period began Saturday for free agents, deals can't be consummated until Aug. 1.

All Brothers would say was, "Danny would like to be a New York Knick. I think he's a missing ingredient."

The Lakers, who waived A.C. Green, are also interested but Fortson, a Philadelphia native, prefers to play on the East Coast.

League sources say Fortson is seeking a seven-year deal, with the first season beginning at about $4 million. The Celtics have extended an offer to Fortson in that ballpark, possibly to execute a sign-and-trade. Boston still could keep Fortson, but it would seem illogical considering they just drafted power forward Jerome Moiso and still have Antoine Walker as their starting four-man.

A Chris Childs-for-Fortson swap would work because Childs makes $4 million this season. The Celtics are shopping for a backup point guard for Kenny Anderson, however, and could hold out for more - possibly new acquisition, guard Erick Strickland and the rights to either 1999 first-round pick Frederic Weis or 2000 second-round selection, Lavor Postell.

Wallace also serves as the Celtics' European scout and would be interested in a foreign player like Weis. Postell could easily be moved in a package this month, which may be a reason the Knicks postponed introducing him to the media for a couple of weeks. The Knicks are intrigued by Fortson because, although he is just 6-71/2, he started at center for the Nuggets two seasons ago and held his own against Shaquille O'Neal.

Obtaining Fortson would still put the Knicks in position to trade Latrell Sprewell and perhaps Marcus Camby for Hill and unhappy Piston Loy Vaught. The Knicks could give Vaught his release and then use the $2.25M exception to sign a backup power forward such as 6-11 Corie Blount, whom the Knicks inquired about Saturday. The Knicks have also inquired about Charlotte free agent backup center Brad Miller. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<