Celtics Taking a Walk Around the Rumor Mill

Celtics Taking a Walk Around the Rumor Mill

NBAtalk Front | East Conf News | West Conf News | Injury Reports
Celtics Shopping Walker, Again. According to the Boston Globe, the Celtics
Are Trying to Move Antoine Walker, and May Have a Buyer in Indiana. The
Celtics are tiring of Antoine Walker's act and, at least according to one
GM, he's back on the trading block. Walker, of course is difficult to move
because he is a base year player. It will take a team under the cap, like
Orlando or Chicago to get him. However, one team that might surface as a
power broker is Indiana, which, you may recall, talked about a Walker- Dale
Davis deal last summer. The Pacers have a $4.5 million trade exception, and
a boatload of free agents including Reggie Miller, Mark Jackson, Austin
Croshere, and Jalen Rose.
Missing Person According to the Morning Journal The Cavs Are Trying to Deal
Wesley Person. The Cavs front office would like to make some moves to
salvage the season. The question is, do they have a player anyone wants in
return. They've shopped Wesley Person and Danny Ferry, but so far aren't
getting even a nibble. Of course, Shawn Kemp has been shopped too, but a
fat contract and fatter gut have scared away most. 'We didn't have blinders
on. Even if we had Z, we thought we'd have some ups and downs. We're
learning about the players we want long term and feel the will be a part of
something going forward. You hope to get to the point of contending and
being in an elite group.'
Wizards have Heard Enough according to the Washington Post, Michael Jordan
dropped the ax on Gar Heard. It took 10 days for Michael Jordan to leave
his mark. 10 days into his tenure he fired Gar Heard and will hire Ron
Higgins (an assistant with the Warriors) as the new head coach of the
Washington Wizards. 'I mentioned that when I became a member of the
Washington Wizards that I would evaluate the team and the coaching staff,'
Jordan said in the statement. 'I felt it was necessary to make a change at
this time.' Wes Unseld was quick to point out that Jordan didn't make the
decision alone, but the only decision Unseld made was to hire Heard in the
first place. Heard, for his part was disappointed. 'It was a good ride,'
Heard said. 'Unfortunately, I wasn't the guy that they wanted here. Michael
had his own guy and that's how it goes. I hope the next guy that comes in
here does a better job for them.' But that could just be the start of the
changes the Wizards are about to undergo . . .
Strickland may be going, too according to the NY Post, Deal with Knicks is
close. 'The Knicks and Wizards continue to discuss a trade that would
return the native New Yorker to the team that drafted him later this week.
As compensation, Washington would get Chris Childs, Kurt Thomas, John
Wallace, Mirsad Turkcan and cash (as much as $3M) to help clear roster
space by paying off people. Should the deal fall through, understand it
won't be because the salaries involved are incompatible. Rather than
subject you to the boring details, all you've got to know is that a third
team is no longer required to make this work. Both the Knicks and Wizards,
while conforming to league rules, would be able to absorb the obtained
salaries on their respective caps.'
Handicapping Hughes According to the Philly Inquirer Don't Expect Larry
Hughes to Be Moved After All Now that the Hughes for Mashburn fiasco has
subsided the Sixers are contemplating keeping Hughes aboard, at least until
this summer - or until the next flare up or decent offer. NBAtalk
Interpretation: they could get more for him this summer and therefore they
won't give him away, but he's gone if a decent deal comes along.