VP the scapegoat?

> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:54:45 -0800
> From: "John Lyell" <johnlyell@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Magic Crush Celts: Orlando 111- Boston 89
>
> Hopefully RP will find some taker for guys like Battie, Cheaney,
Williams,
> Barros (having a terrible year) by the trading deadline. But it probably
> won't be likely or for anyone of value, but I can dream.

I share the dream. . .

> Who was it that said VP was a force down low ? He is terrible. Guys like
> Amaechi , Kelvin Cato, & Brad Miller have career nights on us.

I'm not the one, but I am a fan of VP so I'll say a few words in his (and
the rest of the players') behalf. I think we all realize VP's not a shot
blocker (so much for being a "force"). Yes, Amaechi was 7-11, but Outlaw
was 5-7, Wallace 5-6, and Wahad 7-12. The Magic as a team shot 60% for the
game - 70% in the second half, for cryin' out loud!! Whatever it was, it
was certainly a "team effort".

But now it is Potapenko who is terrible? Is this the same VP who played for
Cleveland when they led the league in least points allowed? With regard to
Amaechi, all I know is I tuned in roughly 2 minutes (game clock) into the
game and VP was already on the bench, so it wasn't just VP "guarding"
Amaechi. I'm not even sure VP was on the floor at the same time as Miller
or assigned to Cato since Thomas Hamilton was actually playing (not just
sitting) for the Rockets at the time. I believe it was Walker who was
assigned to a good chunk of minutes on each, again highlighting why I feel
he is overmatched and out of position at PF on the defensive end (but also
see caveat below).

However, let's not play favorites; the fact is that NO player for the Celts
was given much of a chance to play straight-up defense tonight, as on so
many other nights. There were a LOT of uncontested lay-ups and dunks for
the Magic as we seem to have reverted to "monkey outbreak - headless
chicken" switching and doubling on D again. So to blame any ONE player for
a lack of D on a given opposing player is misleading because all too often
the players are running around trying to guard two or three opponents. This
is an important mitigating factor I've mentioned in defense of other Celtic
players when they have been singled out for "poor defense" in the past.

As Joe has mentioned, the Celts are very nearly the WORST defensive team in
the league as measured by FG%. Is this solely because the players simply
cannot play defense? Or is it perhaps also the case that the defensive
"plan" may be a bit unrealistic?

Yes, we don't have shot-blockers... then why employ a defense that
virtually requires shot-blocking? Sometimes no amount of effort can make a
flawed plan look effectual. Think of the poor slobs sent to slaughter in
WWI - I'm sure no matter how much effort they exerted that they looked just
as pathetic as our hapless Celts have on too many occasions. Half the time
the players don't even look as if they know their roles out there. After
three years we should expect a little bit more.

Sorry to sound so harsh, I'm sure that you - like me - are just responding
to the frustration of seeing the team once again play SO POORLY after they
have improved so much in terms of talent.

Here's to dreams of better times to come - Tom Murphy