All-Star game

I don't think that Pierce makes the All-Star team under any circumstances
due to the depth in Eastern shooting guards, as other posts have mentioned.
Reggie Miller is sure to be included in my opinion as the best player on
the conference leader. Statistically he's about the same as he's been
in previous All-Star seasons. He's a tremendously efficient scorer who
manages to shoot the rare combination of tons of threes and tons of free
throws, both with great accuracy. He's a great, underrated player even
though I don't like his style. Pierce has the potential to be even better
though, with similar shooting skills (though not yet at Miller's level) to
go along with superior rebounding, athleticism, and defensive ability.
But assuming that five guards make it, besides starters Eddie Jones and
Iverson, you'd probably have Miller, Houston, and Cassell.

Among forwards, the starters are Vince Carter and Grant Hill, so probably
at least two power forwards have a shot. Again you have to assume that
players on conference leading teams should have an advantage, but as
mentioned by other posts, there are really few good scoring PFs in the
Eastern Conference, which gives Antoine a chance. It would probably take
the Celtics getting into playoff position before the All-Star reserves
are chosen though, and his continuing to put up double figure rebounding
and high assist games with some frequency. Otherwise, rewarding tough
defender-rebounders on winning teams, such as Dale Davis, Antonio Davis,
or PJ Brown could happen; or a true veteran All-Star such as Shawn Kemp,
who might be perceived as carrying his team by himself. But scanning
the Eastern Conference rosters makes me appreciate what we have with
Antoine at the power forward position. Of course, the monsters are out
west - Wallace, Malone, Webber, Duncan, Garnett, McDyess... But I think
that Pitino is right - Antoine is going to be a real star in a few years
as he continues to develop. I don't think Van Horn makes it because of
the Nets' record, his defense, and the fact that he isn't the best
player on his team. (You could argue that with Walker too, though I
don't think it's as clear-cut).

The center position seems pretty thin also, but probably Mutombo makes
it due to his awesome stats and All-NBA history despite his team being
pretty weak. There really are very few good centers in the NBA, and
while I agree that "getting a good center" is an admirable goal for
Pitino, the fact is that it's probably impossible - there are few
teams with a spare good center, and top college prospects probably
go in the first pick. Vitaly, who will turn 25 this season, is probably
already an average center in this league, amazing as that may sound.
Aside from a few true dominant centers who are franchise players,
most centers in the league have similar problems - undersized or
unskilled. Vitaly is not going to block shots, carry our offense,
or pull down 15 rebounds, but he has some offensive skills, isn't a
liability at the free throw line, and can defend. I feel a lot more
comfortable knowing that we have him for the next five years, and
given his work ethic, he'll hopefully even develop his skills further.
You look at $50M in free agency for Geiger, the #1 pick for Olowokandi,
and numerous other expensive signings or risky drafts and you realize
the market for centers. The #8 pick and DeClercq for an average center
is pretty fair value for us.

Alex