Re: Fortson's minutes

>From: "Joshua Ozersky" <jozersky@stny.rr.com>
>
>OK, we all know Fortson has to get more minutes, but where?  He's too rare
>a commodity to trade away.  We need him on this team.  Tony, too.
>I think it has to go like this:
>
>C:  Potapenko, Battie
>PF:  Walker, Fortson
>SF:  Fortson, Walker, Williams
>SG: Pierce, Griffin
>PG: Kenny, Dana

I don't think you can have Walker and Fortson on the court at the same time
and call Fortson the Small Forward.  Basically what you are saying is that
to get Fortson many minutes, Walker will need to play some 3.  I agree.  I
also don't think it's a disaster to use him at center.  A lot of teams are
using Power forwards at center.  Last night Antonio Davis and Kevin Willis
played center for Toronto.  There's no problem using Fortson against their
ilk.  I don't expect to see him out there against true quality centers.
This is one point I don't think Joe is considering in his condemnation of
Fortson's use.  He may be getting minutes at center, but not against anyone
he can't handle.  He also has played some PF alongside Battie at center,
which is a pretty good idea.

>Use Walter, and Calbert for spot duty defensive assignments.

I think the true definition of depth isn't how many people you play, but how
good are the guys you don't play.  Williams, Cheaney, McCarty and even
Griffin should be ready to ride the pine for entire games.  Most of these
guys play better when getting at least 30 minutes, so I don't think there
are enough minutes for everyone.

>Have Antoine and Fortson swap defensive assignments at 3 and 4.

>What do you think?  The only other way is for Antoine to start at three,
>and then move to four when Fortson gets his third foul.  Either way Fortson
>gets starter minutes moving between the the two forward positions, or even
>some spot duty at center, if the matchups favor Battie at that position
>(Denver, for example).

I think it's Antoine that will move between the two forward positions.  If
the concern is that Antoine isn't mobile enough to stay with small forwards
running around screens, how's Danny supposed to do that?  If 'Toine's
guarding the 3, why are you calling Danny the Small Forward.  It sounds like
you're just switching the names so that it doesn't sound like Antoine has to
adjust to the 3 position.

Jim