Re: Thoughts on the disappointing Celtics

Very informative post. I don't know, you may be right Alex and it won't be a
first.

But certainly 55% shooting sounds far preferable to Zo's 8-12 and 9-11 games
against us thus far, or Shaq's 13-20 with 17 freebies at the line (forget about
Duncan's numbers).
No NBA team today has the lowpost weapons of the Celtics in the 80's, yet teams
like Philly and Detroit and the Lakers played us straight as their base defense
even if it was "suicidal". You'd see Mo Cheeks or someone else swooping down
like a gnat to steal Parish's first dribble.

 Once the ball is lobbed over him, no amount of mismatched help defense short
of a foul is going to prevent the easy layup. I don't think anyone on the list
is advocating letting the Celts play nothing but straight man-to-man. But why
not double down or even "front" before the pass with a smaller man to squeez
off any lateral mobility by the center once the ball gets down low? At least
make Shaq and Zo work harder for it next time around and take contested shots.

This could very well be "suicidal", but how much worse could it be? It would be
hard to get much worse. I'm not exactly complaining without waiting for a
little evidence. Pitino has to adopt to the personnel he has. If we are going
to stick to fronting, I'd say we'd get better results starting freaking Waltah
(long arms and hops) at center. Vitaly has short arms and fronting negates the
strength advantages, so basically he's as good as squat.

But I would hesitate to trade our starting center straight up for fully 10 of
the starting centers on the current 16 playoff team rosters. If all those teams
all have mailing lists, I'd bet that up to a dozen of them are focusing on how
crappy their starting center is. It is myopic to assume our guy is really that
much worse than the others out there on better teams.

And blaming the Celts .470FG% allowed on our lack of athletic defenders is as
surreal as blaming the "Charge of the Light Brigade" on having horses that ran
too slow. You're barking up the wrong tree. At some point we need to stop
blaming the enlisted men. It's incredible how earnest and try-hard these guys
have been this year, despite BSG's dissertation that it is a lack of heart not
talent compared to Pitino's first year.

But anyway Alex I found your post very informative as usual.

Joe

****