From: owner-celtics@igtc.com [mailto:owner-celtics@igtc.com]On Behalf Of
CeltsSteve@aol.com
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2000 8:10 PM
To: titans@ihug.com.au; celtics@igtc.com
Subject: Re: Clippers selling Kandi *cheap*??? [NBA Talk]

In a message dated 01/03/2000 11:26:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
titans@ihug.com.au writes:

<<  If his knees are in good shape then I'd offer Tony Battie for him. I'd
bring him off the bench for a while while Pitino can teach him the  plays,
etc, etc. then I'd place him into Potapenko's place and have VP  come from
the bench as the first power forward / center substitution.

How about it? >>

Battie for Kandi straight up?  In a heart beat.  But truth be told, I'd
really rather trade V for  Kandi straight up and keep Battie.  Either way,
it
would be a coup for the C's.

If the price is Battie, the C's then would have effectively manufactured the
#1 pick for absolutely nothing. Knight was originally a free agent signee
that cost them nothing - no player in trade nor a draft pick.

He was parlayed into a top # 5 pick in the person of Battie. To trade Battie
for a true 7' 1", 275 pound center would be too good to be true. The
Clippers
might bite on that because Battie is now locked down for the next 6 years at
a very modest/reasonable figure of $25 million which would no doubt appeal
their cheapskate owner, Donald Sterling.  V is also locked down for the next
6 years at a reasonable amount at the slightly higher amount of $33 million,
which should likewise be appealing to Sterling.
If the price is V, then the C's effectively traded a # 8 for a # 1 as again,
DeClercq was a free agent signee that cost them nothing originally, either.
I'd be more in favor of trying to move V for Kandi than Battie.

Personally, I think the C's would have one heckueva "4"/"5" combo in Kandi
and Walker and then a backup tandem of Fortson at the PF spot to play off of
Battie. Throw in a guy like Adonal Foyle as a free agent signee this summer
with the $2.25 million exception slot and their power positions would have
it
all: speed, size, bulk, quickness, shot blocking, strength, depth. The
combinations that RP could put on the court in those positions would be
unbelievable.