Re: Utah Jazz

In a message dated 01/03/2000 11:37:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
titans@ihug.com.au writes:

<< Hey all,

 The Utah Jazz are shopping both Jacque Vaughn and Howard Eisley with
 plans of trading one of them and re-signing the other as a free agent at
 the end of the season. They are looking at trading for a veteran
 swingman as they are extremely sparse on them after the free agent
 departure of Shandon Anderson.

 Would you consider a Calbert Cheaney + something for Howard Eisley
 trade? >>

Personally, I'd rather see the C's try to grab Vaughan than Eisley. Eisley is
a better shooter than Vaughan but I think Vaughan could be had more easily
and I also believe he has more upside as a pure, true PG than Eisley. Plus, I
think he's better defensively than Eisley and could spearhead the press.

I don't know why the Jazz wouldn't they be interested in Cheaney. Coupled
with the fact that Hornacek is adamant this is his final year and Utah then
would have a veteran "2"/"3" to currently fill Shandon Anderson's vacated
role off the bench and a successor to groom as Hornacek's replacement next
year.

In order for the salaries to match up, an alternative might be:

Calbert Cheaney and Doug Overton for Jacque Vaughan and Adam Keefe or Jacque
Vaughan and Pete Chilcutt.

Rationale for Utah: Cheaney fills Shandon Anderson's role off the bench and
is locked down for two more years after this season. Overton replaces the
free agent Vaughan, who is also a free agent but is a better perimeter
shooter than Vaughan and still gives the Jazz  3 PGs (Stockton, Eisley, and
Overton) just as they currently have.

Additionally, both Keefe and Chilcutt are free agents at the end of this year
and the Jazz will likely lose at least one of them anyway.

Rationale for Boston: In Vaughan, the C's get a young, pure PG to groom as
their PG of the future  and they re-unite Vaughan with his college teammate,
Paul Pierce. Vaughan is also a terrific defender and can spearhead the press
for the second unit until such time as he can dislodge Kenny from the
starting lineup. He has ridden the bench for almost three years behind one of
the all-time greats and it's time for him to see what he can do but Stockton
is still under contract for one more year after this season so it's no
guarantee the Jazz will be able to re-sign him anyway.

As you said, Eisley is a free agent this coming summer as well. If you were
the Jazz, who would you re-sign as your PG of the future: Eisley or Vaughan?

Additionally, as both Keefe and Chilcutt are free agents this summer, the C's
would have the option to re-sign whoever was included as part of the package
or simply renounce the rights to that guy and move on which is a likely
scenario.

To me, a Cheaney/Overton trade for Vaughan/Chilcutt or Vaughan/Keefe is a
"Win/win" deal for both clubs.