Eric Williams

Bill Cooper wrote in his game summary:

Williams: It didn't dawn on me until very recently (after seeing the
contract numbers someone posted) what a huge, untradeable liability Eric
Williams is. When he's not scoring he's useless. I always hoped he'd develop
into a defensive stopper, as he certainly has the frame to guard a wide
range of players (1's, 2's, 3's, some 4's) but it doesn't look like it'll
ever happen. A player with no skills is no big deal until you sign them to a
contract that pays them four million a year. Ouch. I'm starting to see why
the Denver papers thought they got the better end of the Mercer-Fortson
deal. Addition by subtraction, indeed. Anyway, came up with a point and two
rebounds tonight.

I remember whoever our head scout was at that time (John Connor? He was some
nobody who had worked his way up from tape editor to head scout. And we're
surprised we are where we are?), raving after the Eric Williams selection.
"Nobody goes around this guy! Nobody! What a great pick!" We picked Eric
14th and passed on 15. Brent Barry; 16. Alan Henderson; 17. Bob Sura; 18.
Theo Ratliff; 21. Michael Finley; and 23. Travis Best.

Everyone remembers M.L.'s terrible free agent signings, but what about this
atrocious draft choice? I submit Eric is the single most overpaid,
untradeable player (and I use the term loosely) in the NBA. That first-round
pick we get from Denver next year better turn into something great, or the
Mercer trade will go down as one of the worst in the history of this
franchise.

Mark