I was at that miserable game!

I didn't plan on making last night's game, but I got a phone call from a
couple of friends who "forgot" about my birthday. I wish they really had
forgotten about my birthday. Just a couple of thoughts to add about that
miserable display.

About half-way through the third quarter, my friend looked at me and said,
"The Blazers could get to the basket tonight in motorized wheelchairs." Now
I know that the Blazers are awfully good, but that was perhaps the most
pathetic display of defense I've ever seen. I don't know what Pitino
intends to happen, but it ain't happening, and if this team is ever going
to compete with anybody, I think it's either time to....well...I'll let it
go for now. Let me address the Danny Fortson phenomenon. This guy can
rebound! Yes, by God, he can rebound and he does attack the boards "hard."
You have to give him that. Now rebounding ain't chopped liver,
however...and here comes the BUT...Danny is simply a miserable defender.
I'm sorry, but Danny makes Sabonis look quick in the paint. And once again,
if you get Danny near the basket, it's turn, shoot and over. He's immobile
and he's short. His offensive game is "get to the line," but again, there's
nothing wrong with that. I have to admit that the guy can rebound, but do
you keep a guy who can rebound and do nothing else? What do you pay him?
How many minutes does he get and is it worth having him on the floor giving
up points but picking up boards? Now, I know that the Blazers frontcourt is
awfully good, and Danny can't take all the blame for what I'm going to
imagine is a huge difference in "points in the paint" between the two
teams, but he really isn't a very good defender and I'm trying to be
diplomatic here. He's gone very soon.

Some other players of note. Pierce, as Greg pointed out, was miserable on
offense and defense last night. Just terrible. I was, of course, hoping for
much more. Kenny was horrible at both ends. Battie is useless everywhere.
Williams is out of his depth and anything he may have done right falls
under the "broken clock rule." Did I mention that Battie is a joke?
Antoine? At one point my long time Laker friend looks at me and says, "I
hope to God this guy gets traded, because he's the only one with real NBA
skills. Maybe he'll get to have a real NBA carreer on a real team...with a
real coach!" On the other hand he was taking and hitting mid-range jumpers
last night like he was Glenn Rice. Now we all know that for this to happen
the moon must've been in some house under some sign downing coffee and
steroids, but the guy was squaring up and "slamming" them in like "I've
been doing it all year. What's the big deal?" We've said it all before.
Would'a, could'a, should'a...if this guy ever gets a midrange jumper that
isn't governed by the movements of the heavenly bodies.....you know the
rest. By the way, he made an effort on defense but it was useless. I think
Rasheed had mercy on his soul. But he was the only guy who actually seemed
to be able to keep it close after the half.

Who else? OH, did I mention that Battie is CBA bound?

I have to go back to work and try to actually earn my money today. To
summarize, it may not be sooner than later, but Pitino has to know that
this team, as it is, isn't close to contending for anything meaningful
anytime soon. Look for some big trades. Lot's of new faces on their way. He
either makes some big trades or quits.

Paul M.