Re: Bowen waived

Alex Wang wrote:

> > opi@unesco.org wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe Paul Allen's pal Bill Gates might want to get into the game and buy
> > > the Boston Celtics. Gates must have a little bit more free time since
> > > stepping down as Microsoft chairman.
> >
> > Follow Gaston's logic with me here. Dick Pond tells the Globe today that the
> > team lost $10 million last year, yet says Gaston "as a business man" has
> > declined numerous offers to sell. Hmm, something doesn't seem to square ...
>
> The loss was due to the lockout, I believe. The year before they were
> quite profitable, if I recall correctly. Pond just said that it would
> take a truly fantastic offer to make Gaston sell. I like the Bill Gates
> idea though. Once he puts the "Boston Celtics" icon on the Windows
> desktop, the other teams won't have a chance. Soon they'll be trading
> their best players to us for their own icons on the desktop.

An MS-Boston Celtics merger introduces history, tradition and class to the Bill
Gates empire (plus it represents a big one-up over his ex-partner Paul Allen).

Moreover, what better way to attract MIT engineering and computer science talent
to Redmond, WA, than to buy the local Boston team?

The "half a billion dollars" asking price is excessive but there are plenty of
young computer and dot.com billionaires other than Bill Gates who could pony up
that obscene sum to get rid of "Thanks Dad" Gaston.

***