Re: Bowen waived

Peter Delevett wrote:

> Considering how much our fearless leader used to rave about him, and our
> dismal backcourt defense, how 'bout signing Bruce to a 10-day contract?

Why not just wait a few weeks and then grab Alvin Williams off waivers. :-)

Changing subjects, the Celts starting backcourt failed to step up last night
(5-21 shooting and 9 turnovers). This may be a classic midseason burnout
phase, but we can't afford it. It looks like the Celts will reach 10 games
under .500 before they start making some kind of run. Given the competition,
the Celts are still in the Eastern playoff picture if they can finish around
.500. So they need to treat every ball possession during this slump as
relevant to their playoff chances.

On a positive note, the 18-7 advantage in offensive rebounds is the type of
stat that is bound to help us down the road, once we can play consistently
in other phases of the game. Fortson had 8 offensive boards as well as 14
boards overall (twice as many as any other Celtic). Pitino is doing a
wonderful job of showcasing him before the trade <g>.

Portland has an amazing roster. Detlef Shrempf (14 minutes) and Brian Grant
(12 minutes) are basically afterthoughts on that bench at times, but they
could probably start and help improve many teams. The "accidental
billionaire" Paul Allen has five roster players averaging between 9 and 13
million per season and two more players averaging between 6 and 7 million
(Steve Smith and Jermaine O'Neil) according to Bender's site.

Maybe Paul Allen's pal Bill Gates might want to get into the game and buy
the Boston Celtics. Gates must have a little bit more free time since
stepping down as Microsoft chairman.

****