No Subject

INDIANAPOLIS -- Larry Bird, one of the greatest players in Boston Celtics
history, said Monday he would prefer owning the Indiana Pacers.

And the Indiana coach, who has announced plans to leave the bench at the
end of the season, said he doesn't anticipate becoming an owner of either
team.

"The Pacers are not for sale, the Celtics are not for sale. I know that,
I knew that eight years ago that they weren't for sale. Bird said Monday.
"You can't buy something that's not for sale."

The Boston Globe reported Sunday that Bird indicated interest in buying
the Celtics.

"I could get people together to buy the team in a day," Bird told the
newspaper. "I could get it done tomorrow."

Celtics owner Paul Gaston has said publicly that the team is not for sale.

Bird has been offered an executive position in the Pacers' front office,
but said Monday he was uncertain what he would do when the season ends.

"I'll tell you again, I'm not going back there," Bird said of Boston.
"As far as being here, I really don't know yet."

Bird said he had talked about the future with Pacers president Donnie Walsh
a number of times.

"It's just according to how I feel. I've always said to build a team is
very intriguing. Do I want to spend five years doing that? I've got a
family. It really comes down to where my kids want to live," said Bird,
who has three children. "My wife has followed me around for 23 years. ...
She loves it here."

Bird worked as a Celtics consultant for five years after retiring as a player.

He has coached the Pacers into the Eastern Conference finals both years as a
coach. In his debut as a coach at any level the Pacers set a franchise
record of 58-24 and lost in the conference finals to Michael Jordan and the
Chicago Bulls in seven games.

Indiana won the Central Division championship in last year's lockout-shortened
season, finishing 33-17, and lost the conference final to the New York Knicks
in six games.

The Pacers have the best record in the Eastern Conference this season.

Asked if he had talked with Indiana owners Herb and Mel Simon about becoming
an owner of the team, Bird responded, "You can forget about it."

Bird was also asked if he was interested in becoming an owner of the Dallas
team and responded negatively.

"I'd rather buy this team, because of this place," he said in reference to
the new Conseco Fieldhouse, which has had a capacity crowd for every game
this season.

Indiana has compiled a franchise-record 19-game winning streak at Conseco
and its 22-2 home mark is the best in the league.