Pitino Doubts Celts for Sale

Pitino doubts Gaston to sell
By Peter May, Globe Staff, 2/21/2000

Rick Pitino got a call yesterday from his old pal, Jersey Red. ''He told
me Larry Bird was going to buy the Celtics,'' Pitino said last night.
Jersey Red had it half right. Bird told the Globe on Sunday that he was
interested in buying the team and wanted to let owner Paul Gaston know
he was ready to make a deal.

Gaston is out of town until tomorrow and has continually stated
throughout the years that he has no intention of selling. That was
Pitino's take on it as well.  ''My honest opinion is that I don't think
Paul Gaston is going to sell to Larry Bird or anyone else,'' Pitino
said. ''If he did, he would have done so a while ago. If he was
interested, the team would be up for sale.''

Pitino does have a clause in his contract that allows him to leave the
team for a pre-determined buyout figure in the event of a sale.

Pitino denied a report on Channel 4 last night that had him being wooed
for and interested in two college jobs. ''Totally false,'' he said. ''I
have not been contacted by anyone, nor would I want to be contacted. I'm
very persistent. I'm very patient. I gave up something very special to
come here [Boston] and that's not about what I'm going to do.''