Fortson's last week as a Celtic

    As the Herald accurately reported, Danny Fortson pretty-much owned
the Warriors last season, lighting up Dampier, Jamison etc for 20 points
and 23 rebounds.

    But contrary to reports., Danny Fortson actually has also played
very effectively against "playoff caliber" teams.

    For example, Fortson's two games as a starter against (our next
opponent) Portland's big linuep went well last season. In his last game
against them on May 2, he scored 17 points on 7-12 shooting with 8
boards. A week earlier on April 26, he scored 18 points with a
team-leading 13 boards (8 offensive) and just three fouls in 40 minutes.
In his only other game against Portland (early in the first month of
last season) he got 8 boards in just 12 minutes off the bench.

    As for the Lakers, Fortson's final appearance against them (last
April 5th) produced 21 points on 8-11 shooting with 12 rebounds (6
offensive). Playing in a three-guard lineup, Fortson outscored AND
outrebounded Shaq at the center position, and also got Shaq in foul
trouble (5 fouls in 21 minutes). In his previous encounter with Shaq
(Feb 22) Fortson did not start yet he still scored 16 points and managed
11 rebounds, hitting 8-10 from the line. Fort and Shaq also met up in
the fourth game of the season, but Fortson sat for most of the game and
contributed a quiet 8 points and 6 boards (McDyess and LaFrentz combined
for 45 points and 31 boards).

    A lot of people are brought in around the trade deadline to plant
pooh-pooh about Fortson's big game value or guts, to the point that even
we as basketball fans start to seriously doubt Fortson's worth. This
only makes Spintino's job that much easier. Let's face it, they nearly
successfully pulled off the Alvin Chipmunk trade. We're talking about a
fourth string point guard whom the Celts can probably pick up in the
offseason for chump change.

    I'm hoping Pitino is finally coming to his senses but I have my
doubts. Personally, I would favor trading Tony "Bat Girl" for a big body
before trading Danny Fortson.

****