Re: Bird and Gaston

Alex Wang wrote:

> If Bird really wanted to buy the Celtics, insulting the current
> owner probably wasn't the best way to achieve his goal. I think
> that Bird probably knows that Gaston isn't interested in selling
> and is just taking a shot at him for the way he felt he was
> mistreated in Boston.

I'm afraid I agree with Alex, here. He is not putting Gaston in anything
like a realistic position to want to negotiate a sale to Larry Bird,
much less give up his team to this man and leave town with his tail
between his legs. In addition, I don't think Bird's criticisms of Gaston
were so impressively accurate that they are bulletproof. The Celts have
survived a lot of "cheap" owners including Gaston, but in the end
"Thanks Dad" did agree to pay a record contract to Pitino under Bird's
supervision, as well as permitted Pitino to add Walker, Anderson and
Williams' massive longterm contracts to the payroll.

Having said this, I do think Gaston may be interested in selling the
team to someone. The Celtics probably represent a very valuable, blue
chip franchise on the open market with a lot of potential buyers (in
terms of brand name value, they rank up there with the Dodgers and
Yankees). Yet at the same time the team isn't making a whole lot of
everyday profit for the Gastons (attendance and tv ratings are rock
bottom, they don't own the concessions revenue at the Fleet Center etc).

I'm surprised (although I guess I shouldn't be) that Bird would take
those gratuitous cheap shots at a long-time championship teammate and
colleague like ML Carr. I'm even more surprised that Bird would side
with Rick Pitino of all people.

I'd love Bird to own the team or be a key employee, but let's face it I
don't think he's off to a good start in his negotiations nor am I sure
how seriously he's thinking this whole thing through. I'm proud, though,
that Bird is still a Boston Celtic lifer (considering all that Indiana
has done for him with the beautiful new arena etc).

Joe

BTW, it looks like the Indiana State Sycamores might make the NCAA
tournament for probably the first time since the Bird era.

****