Re Trade talk

> From: "Berry, Mark  S" <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG>
> Subject: Re: ESPN rumor
>
> Also, a little further down in that rumor roundup, it identified the Celts,
> along with the Mavs and Raptors, as showing interest in Cavs PG Brevin
> Knight.

I really like Brevin from the little that I saw of him on TV. He seemed to be able to control the
flow of a game, making good (non-flashy) and effective assists, run the offense be fast break or
half court game, in a word - pure point guard skills. He's very passionate about his team/game, I
can see it in his expressions. They lost a close game to the Kings on tv I saw last month, he
fought hard, never say die, seemed like the only 1 on the Cavs who cared (Kemp was like I've done
my job, off to home now!) He's adequate at defense even though 5'10 (see T Hardaway) He will be a
great back up/ successor to KA, but Gaston/Pitino wouldn't want to comitt 20M for just back up, I
think KA got to be moved (eventually) if they get knight

> From: Alex Wang <awang@mit.edu>
> Subject: Trades
>
> I'd see three needs for the Celtics right now:
>
> 1) A center or center/power forward with size, defensive skills, and
> shotblocking. Ideally you'd want rebounding and at least a bit of
> offense in the package, but those types are pretty hard to acquire
> in trade.

Aren't you talking about Battie?

> 2) A swingman with decent size who can shoot the three-pointer with
> quickness and accuracy. This can be a relatively one-dimensional
> backup quality player who can take minutes away from the McCarty,
> Williams, and Cheaney group. Someone who could give us 8 ppg in
> limited minutes and hit 40% on threes would make a difference on
> this team.

Wallace should find one from the CBA (seriously)

> 3) A backup point guard with size and defensive ability, who is skilled
> enough to bring the ball past halfcourt without being terrorized by
> the Mookie Blaylocks of the league. If this player has three-point
> range, all the better.

Pitino should have been more patient with Eric Washington, advertised to have 3pt range, 6'4,
defense-oriented, cheap (we are eating his contract now anyway)

> People talk a lot about Walker getting
> traded but he's really the less tradable one: he has the big salary
> and base-year restrictions.

Becos of BYC and his underachieving, now, he's not "in demand". Wait till Bulls lose out on the FA
sweepstakes this summer, Kruase would be in a panic mode. Our AW will be hot commodity (provided he
keep up his performace, better yet, bring us to the playoffs)  and he can stay home all he wants
with his daughter all summer and thruout season.

> Now Pierce is already one of the best shooting guards in the league
> in only his second year. He's signed cheap to the new rookie contract.
> Well, why would you even consider trading him then? Well, you always
> ask what you're getting back first. Back when Miami had Glen Rice,
> most fans probably thought, why would we ever trade Rice, one of the
> top offensive weapons in the game? Of course, if it's for Mourning,
> it looks awfully good. I don't expect us to get a total rip-off like
> that - a comparable trade would be getting Duncan for Pierce.
> But you can probably imagine a package that would be pretty tempting.
> Mark Berry has mentioned Olowokandi. How about Olowokandi and Derek
> Anderson for Pierce and Eric Williams, say? Not good enough? What if
> they throw in a future first round pick? Tempting. What about the
> 2000 pick? That would be very hard to refuse although I doubt they
> offer it.

When Rice was traded for Mourning, Zo was a sure thing, we are not talking about potential (a la
AW), we are talking 20/10/3blks night in night out. You give up a future sure thing in Pierce for
"potential" in Kandiman? Anderson - I've read somewhere he also wanted the max (or close to), his
previous agent was Master P. The only time I would be trading Pierce is his fifth year, when (and
if) he wants out from Pitinoland. Or he has the similar injury jinx that Pervis has (passed on)

> Or what about Foyle?

Foyle is a Y2000 FA, we can be patient.

> Cato is rumored to be available but that seems somewhat doubtful to me.

I also think that Cato is not for trade. He's young and costs reasonable 42M/6yr (relatively).
He should be the natural successer to Hakeem.

IMO
kevin