Fortson

ESPN says the Lakers, Bucks and Pistons all want Danny. Who do they have
that we might want?

LAKERS Rick wants a tall PG who can defend, and the Lakers have John
Celestand, but he would be even worse than Alvin Williams, so I hope
Rick won't look in that direction. Devean George, a rookie SF, was
highly touted coming out of college, but he hasnt played much, and we
really don't need another 3. Still, he might be worth a gamble. Would
they part with Rick Fox, and could we afford him? I don't see them
parting with any big men, e.g. Horry or Green, but they might try to
foist John Salley on us. I don't know if we want an old guy like Ron
Harper, though he does give us the backcourt defense and veteran
presence we need. Don't know about his salary either. Same could be said
of Brian Shaw.

BUCKS Robert Traylor is said to be on the market. He has 1 year left on
his rookie deal, so if he's a bust we don't lose much. He would give us
size at the 4 and 5, and still has star potential, so it would be a step
above the Alvin Williams deal. Tim Thomas is very intriguing, could
bring bench scoring, ball handling and size, and George Karl is said to
be cool on him; don't know his contract status. Rookie Rafer Alston was
a hot PG coming out of Fresno State, but he's not real big and hasn't
played much, if at all, this season. Darvin Ham played some decent games
for the Wizards, and he's a rangy young shotblocker who can run the
court at 6'7, but his career stats aren't much to look at. Vinny Del
Negro? Ervin Johnson? Danny Manning? JR Reid? I'm just free associating
here, but any of those guys could have an upside, depending on salary.

PISTONS The return of Eric Montross ... God help us. Rick might take a
Jud Buechler for veteran hustle (and rings). Rick wanted Michael Curry
badly in the offseason, and the Pistons might move him. John Crotty is a
better backup PG than Dana, but he's no defensive whiz. I wouldn't mind
having Terry Mills for bench scoring, but I don't know if we could get
him or what he'd cost. Don Reid is an undersized big man who always
seems to stick around the league because of his hustle, but he's likely
a throw-in at best. I love Loy Vaught but his back seems to be shot; if
he could ever regain his Clippers form he'd be a catch.

These are just some ideas offered without any eye toward salary cap
constraints. They're intended just to spark some dialogue. Comments?
Flames?