Projo bit on Fortson

I deleted the part on the Jazz game as it was the same stuff reported
elsewhere (I am really happy we are get off to a positive start to this
do or die road trip)

Anyway, below projo some Fortson talking which reveals Fortson more,
IMO:

>``I'm a basketball player. This is a business. I'm not going to ever
stop playing basketball and playing it hard. That's what I do.''
Fort is a real tough guy - at least he sounds like one - he's what, 23
yrs? He thinks/speaks like a veteran. I like it.  I feel that he will be
a above average NBA player (like Dale Davis) for the next 10 years. I
hope the Fort will remain a C for a long time.

>"Now I can get some numbers in case something does happen again.''
Fortson's probably thinking: Geeshzz, they traded me for for 2 scrubs? I
was the 4th leading rebounder last season and they gave me away just for
2 back ups? Geezz!, what is Pitino thinking? Hell, even Toronto says I'm
good for cap space relief, don't I have better value than that?

Man, am I glad to be back here with the Cs becos if I can't get minutes
here, how can I get it over at Raptorland, when I'm lined up behind
Willis/Oakley/Davis. Surely more DNPs, but at the Cs I could scrap for
at least 10 minutes!

I must wake up and do whatever Coach P tells me to, if not I am never
going to get minutes to show what I can really contribute. I don't want
to be a journeyman.

Hey guys, is this plausible? that Ricky P did a "motivational" trade to
get the Fort in line (look at Eric Williams, he's sure glad to be back).

still thinking positive.
kevin/singapore

CELTICS
Celts surprise Jazz, 101-99, in trip opener
Journal Wire Reports
http://www.projo.com/report/pjb/stories/03200003.htm
<snip>
Meanwhile, the Celtics' Danny Fortson did some fence-mending yesterday.
The 6-foot-7 forward, representing a team that had traded him and was
forced to take him back, said:
``I'm a basketball player. This is a business. I'm not going to ever
stop playing basketball and playing it hard. That's what I do.''
Fortson was in his Greater Boston apartment last Wednesday when his
agent called and told him he'd been traded to the Toronto Raptors (for
Alvin Williams and Sean Marks). So, instead of going to the FleetCenter,
Fortson flipped on his TV and watched his former teammates lose to Larry
Bird's Indiana Pacers.
The next day he flew to Toronto, had a physical, and told the Toronto
media, ``Hey, you've got a winning record. I was in Boston, we're 21-28,
and the ship is sinking pretty fast.''
The statement hardly qualified as a news bulletin, but it came back to
haunt Fortson the next day when Williams failed his Celtic physical and
the trade was voided.
Because of the All-Star break, Fortson had no contact with his
old/new/old teammates until Monday, when he flew on the Celtics' charter
to Utah. They let him have it pretty good and he apologized for the
loose lips on sinking ships.
``I made an unprofessional statement,'' he said yesterday. ``I'm only
23. I'm a young guy. I try to be as professional as possible.''
He talked with coach Rick Pitino Monday.
``It's business,'' said Fortson. ``I understand. He don't hold no grudge
against me and I don't hold no grudge against him. And I know that
everybody in the NBA is tradeable except five or six guys. I had a good
year last year and got traded.
``The whole thing is kind of funny. I really didn't think I was going to
be around these guys, but I'm glad I did come back. Now I can get some
numbers in case something does happen again.''
Fortson was a top NBA rebounder with Denver last year, and the Celtics
traded Ron Mercer to get him. But the new rules have put Fortson in foul
trouble. Antoine Walker can't move to the No. 3 spot to create enough
minutes for a rebounding forward. Fortson went into the game averaging
5.9 points and 5 rebounds per game.
``This is just the way it is,'' he said. ``It's not hard for me. My
thing is basketball. I go out and play hard no matter if the jersey I'm
wearing is green or yellow. If I wasn't in the NBA, I'd be playing in
pickup games at the YMCA.''