Re: Fortson reminds me of MonStross

Mark Estepp wrote:

> I have watched Fortson play about every one of the <few> minutes he has
> played as a C, and his footwork reminds me of Eric Montross (who I used to
> call MonStross).  He just does not move his feet on defense, and thus picks
> up all kinds of silly fouls as people run into his arms and legs and bounce
> off of him.  He needs to be able to get in front of people.
>
> A guy no bigger than him who is going to be a solid rebounder AND stay in a
> game has to be able to move his feet and stay our of foul trouble.  Simply
> put,  his problem is agility.

I still don't think so (based on watching four game videos so far), but I'll
keep focusing on Fortson's defense because I definitely respect your opinion.
My sense was that Fort's trying too hard to keep track of his man way off the
ball while Pitino is yelling for him to switch off somewhere to rotate to a
point guard or whatever. I've seen him get yanked in what must be less than a
60 seconds shift (after a foul). I rewind to see what his "sin" was. He looks
frustrated but determined as he's walking off the court after Pitino yanks him.
He looks a lot younger than his mug shots, too (he turns 24 at the end of next
month).

Watch this guy's face and movement as he moves instinctively toward caroms, and
all sins are forgiven as far as I'm concerned.

Only in "Pitino World" would a guy with Fortson's innate instincts fail to whup
a gumby like Tony "Bat Girl" for minutes in any fair and objective competition.
Pitino goes for looks over guts, and athleticism over production. He even goes
for athletism over brains. He'll take a Waltah or Battie-style athlete any day
over a Silas or Cowens. Such is the extent of his ego and confidence as a
coach.

***