RE: Micro-management on the court?

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Backus, Matthew J. wrote:

> Murphy and Bentz wrote:
>
> I don't know if Pitino being be quiet on the bench would help, but I'd be
> willing to try that.  What is obvious is that the micro-managing isn't
> working.  That and let the guy's foul out if they must.  The only players it
> matters if they foul out are Walker and Pierce.  Let the others play, if
> they foul out, so what.  This is not going to change the outcome of this
> teams games.  These guy's start walking to the bench when they get thier 2nd
> foul.  Then the starter is put back in without sufficent rest.
>
> Seems to me that in the book 48 Minutes, Robert Parrish's coach at Golden
> State did this to him once.
> Someone help me out on this.
> Matt

Funny you should mention that book -- I just checked it out of the library
to reacquaint myself with it, as I have been thinking about trying to
write about a Celtics game from this season in the same style.  That is,
break it down play-by-play and really try to examine why the C's are
having so many problems.  I taped the game against Indiana but haven't
gotten around to watching it yet.

Anyway, I remember what you were talking about and it's actually happened
with Parish when he first joined the Celtics.  Parish picked up two quick
fouls in the first quarter and Bill Fitch left him in.  Then Parish racked
up fouls 3, 4, and 5 and Fitch still left him in.  I forget the point
Fitch was trying to make -- I think it had to do with getting Parish into
what Fitch considered game shape.

Dan