Micro-management on the court?

Murphy and Bentz wrote:

> So if I'm correct in making this observation then it seems to me that
> Pitino does micro-manage in a way foreign to most teams, where my
> understanding is that the coach sets certain strategies and may even call
> out switches in strategy during the action but it is not a constant means
> of arranging EVERY player on EVERY defensive set and dictating EVERY
> movement. I'm no expert however and would welcome any further observations
> on the topic of how Pitino coaches from the sidelines and whether it
> conforms or differs from the practices of other teams.

>I like your observations here.  Does anyone who goes to the games have any
>thoughts on this?

I go to some of the games and sit three rows back from the court, on the
bench side. Pitino never stops yelling.  The players are constantly being
told where to be, who to guard etc...  In fairness they are often out of
position or standing around watching the ball.  AG seems to be the only one
who moves somewhat consistantly.  But the yelling is for practice.  If the
defense is too complicated, then un-complicate it.  And design some
offensive plays.  It's to made up on the fly.

My issue is that they don't play together very well.

>More time and some more players are needed.  But the basic ingredients are
>there.  Pitino has not done as bad as job as many want to believe.  However,
>this observation seems very reasonable to me and I wonder if anyone who
>actually goes to the games and observes can comment on what Tom said.

The Celtic's have a 2/3 solid players.  They don't play well together
though.  They do not play as a TEAM.  The all stars play'd better as a team.
(Surprise!)

More time and more players?  Absolutely!

I don't know if Pitino being be quiet on the bench would help, but I'd be
willing to try that.  What is obvious is that the micro-managing isn't
working.  That and let the guy's foul out if they must.  The only players it
matters if they foul out are Walker and Pierce.  Let the others play, if
they foul out, so what.  This is not going to change the outcome of this
teams games.  These guy's start walking to the bench when they get thier 2nd
foul.  Then the starter is put back in without sufficent rest.

So we get a starter who runs out of gas at the end of the game and the sub.
gets 10 minutes (throughout the game) of play without an oppurtunity to
contribute.  This is poor coaching in my humble opinion.

Put Williams, Battie, Fortson and Walter in and tell them to drive to the
hoop.  Only sit them down if they take an outside shot with less then 9 sec.
on the clock.  Try to draw fouls on the other team.  Offensive or defensive,
it doesn't matter.  If the other teams Sub's get fouls on them great.
If the other teams starters pick up the fouls even better!
We know our starters can score if they can get the other team to ease up on
defense do to foul trouble.

I will stop now, I am having problems toning down what was supposed to be a
quick response to the questions asked.

<Jim