FYI: Bird's flight path might end at Boston

http://www.thestar.ca/thestar/sportstoday/nba/14Feb08_01__BKN-NBAREPORT-TB.h
tml

Bird's flight path might end at Boston

Will Larry Bird be the next coach and general manager
of the Boston Celtics? The pieces are starting to fall
into place for Bird's eventual return to Boston.

Bird said last week he wasn't going to join the Indiana
Pacers' front office after this season, his final one as
coach.

``It will be the same after I'm out two or three years,''
Bird said. ``But after a while you have to grow up and
let it go. I've always been interested in jobs in the
NBA. But I've been in this for 20 years and it might be
time to do something else.''

Bird said he'll return to his Florida home to enroll his
kids in school and continue his considerable corporate
endorsement work.

But friends says Bird would love to return to Boston,
the scene of his great playing days, in an executive
capacity. However, they say, he dislikes coach Rick
Pitino, who helped run him out when he took over, and
ownership.

``There's a lot of things I don't like,'' Bird said when
asked about the team on a recent trip to Boston. ``But
I'm not going to get into them.''

Though things could change dramatically in the next
year.

Pitino still is owed almost $30 million on his contract.

But the team shows little chance of making a
turnaround and Pitino's deals keep backfiring, the
latest being the trade of Danny Fortson, whom the
Celtics acquired for Ron Mercer, to the Toronto
Raptors for lightly regarded Alvin Williams.

Boston sent Williams back, saying he failed his
physical after a barrage of local criticism about the
deal.

It was the latest in a series of trades and signings that
have crippled the Celtics under the salary-cap
regulations.

The thinking in Boston is Pitino will work out a buyout
by the end of next season rather than stay in a hopeless
losing situation and a sale of the team is possible.

Already NBA insiders said there have been rumors of
exploratory talks though no deal is imminent or likely
anytime soon.

But if the team is sold, the buyer could come in with
the hugely popular Bird as general manager or coach.

Hopeless causes: The unofficial second half of the
season really provides little hope for any of the teams
not in the top eight in the East making the playoffs.

Orlando, amazingly, is ninth. And how would you like
to be Boston, New Jersey, Atlanta, Cleveland and
Washington, all trailing a Magic team that was broken
up to start rebuilding?

               The Cavaliers are denying Cleveland newspaper
               reports that injured center Zydrunas Ilgauskas is being
               treated for bone-weakening osteoporosis that could
               end his career.

               And then there's Shawn Kemp, who seems to get his
               18 points and then commit a couple of fouls so he can
               rest his out-of-shape body.

               Kemp is blaming the refereeing, saying: ``I realize the
               officials don't know what they're doing out there. The
               NBA changed the rules but didn't let the officials know
               until training camp. So the officials don't know the
               rules. They're basically guessing about the rules. The
               league really didn't give the officials time to practice
               because they're terrible.''

               And then when Cleveland was in Seattle recently,
               Kemp, who boycotted the Sonics to get traded a year
               after being in the Finals, appeared to regret his
               decision.

               ``We probably would have won a ring by now,''
               Kemp said. ``It's tough not to think about that
               sometimes. I try not to because I don't want to feel
               sorry for myself.''

               Like it's often said, better watch what you wish for.

               Traveling plans: It probably isn't good news for Don
               Casey in New Jersey that Nets President Michael
               Rowe will start traveling with the team, saying, ``We've
               got enough games to make a run at the playoffs.''

               This comes after an organization meeting with new
               co-owner George Steinbrenner, who reportedly told
               Rowe to ``make something happen'' with the Nets,
               who are 19-30. And there's Atlanta at 19-28.
               Remember Hawks President Stan Kasten saying if
               there wasn't major progress by the All-Star break
               moves would be made? We're still waiting.

               Hawks coach Lenny Wilkens, meanwhile, has been
               rumored trying to get out of his contract to coach a
               Western Conference team. But Wilkens, the
               winningest coach in NBA history, says forget it.

               Said Wilkens: ``I have a contract that runs 21/2 more
               seasons. I'm not going anywhere.''

               Wilkens was linked to the Los Angeles Clippers, but
               said he told owner Don Sterling in a 1995 job
               interview that ``winning isn't important to him so I
               could never work there.''

               Speculation continues that if the 76ers are an early
               playoff loser, Larry Brown, who maintains a home in
               Southern California, will exercise his clause to leave
               Philadelphia and coach the Clippers again.

               West's best? Portland has emerged as the favorite to
               end the regular season with the league's best record.

               The Trail Blazers play 21 of their remaining 34 at home
               while the Los Angeles Lakers have only 14 of 34 at
               home.

               The Blazers, with just Rasheed Wallace an All-Star
               and no one averaging close to 20 per game, continue
               to rank near the top of the league in fewest points
               allowed and best shooting percentage.

               Said Steve Smith: ``As far as the critics saying there
               will be a lot of bickering, I don't think you've seen that
               at all. There's been nothing about people complaining
               about not getting enough minutes or points.''

               The belief is the Blazers will be the title favorites if the
               high-strung Wallace can maintain his composure late in
               playoff games, which he has yet to show an ability to
               do.

               Said coach Mike Dunleavy: ``The only way I know
               people can stop him is if he's not in the game.''

               East's best? Best record in the East should go to the
               Pacers now that Miami is slipping, New York's
               Marcus Camby is hurt and Derrick McKey is back for
               Indiana and playing good defense.

               But perhaps what has ignited the Pacers this season is
               a reliable third scorer, Jalen Rose, a free agent after
               this season who has four straight games of 20 points or
               better. He is averaging 15.8 points, 4.6 rebounds and
               4.0 assists a game and says the Pacers will sneak up
               on you.

               ``We might not collect all the oohs and ahhs,'' Rose
               said, ``but we're a team about production and winning
               games.''

               Around the league: Much has been noted about the
               Charlotte Hornets' star-crossed season in which
               captain Bobby Phills was killed KRT