Re: to put it all in perspective. . .

Thomas Murphy wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I think this is a key point, and I owe my articulation of it to your
> intelligent prodding of my position. I recall reading in Bskball (not that
> he is a guru or anything) that Pitino's system is dependent upon a number
> of different sets which determine where each player should be on the floor,
> and that his constant yelling is traceable in many cases to his changing
> the set. So in other words, he can and does order all 5 players to a new
> set with one word and is doing so in many cases. So by micro-management I
> don't mean principally the kind of "nagging" that every coach MUST do
> ("Paul, you've missed your man" etc.) but the fact that the entire defense
> is run by means of these "sets" as called out from the bench, which removes
> the room for individual player judgment (I think that you will find that
> those players who ignore Pitino's "sets" are the ones who end up on the
> pine - hence Twon and Waltah, although no one will mistake them for
> defensive demons, always know where to go and therefore stay on the floor,
> whereas a Fortson may not). This system of bench dictated sets also gives
> the other team a crucial advantage if they have done their scouting and
> know that "direction X" means trap the post etc.
>
> So if I'm correct in making this observation then it seems to me that
> Pitino does micro-manage in a way foreign to most teams, where my
> understanding is that the coach sets certain strategies and may even call
> out switches in strategy during the action but it is not a constant means
> of arranging EVERY player on EVERY defensive set and dictating EVERY
> movement. I'm no expert however and would welcome any further observations
> on the topic of how Pitino coaches from the sidelines and whether it
> conforms or differs from the practices of other teams.

I like your observations here.  Does anyone who goes to the games have any
thoughts on this?  It could explain a lot of the coming and going of players
etc.  I don't know if Pitino will make it or not with this team.  But, he is
only in his second full season.  While he has made mistakes, he has signed
Antoine to a long term contract.  Good.  Found Adrian Duncan.  Good.  Drafted
Paul Pierce and chosen him over Ron Mercer.  Good.  Gotten Kenny Anderson
playing better than I would have imagined.  Good.  Gotten a potential good
draft pick for Mercer who would not have resigned.  Good.  Picked up Pots who
has shown potential.  Good.

This team has not shown up for games it should have won.  Bad.  This team does
not know how to win in crunch time.  Youth.

More time and some more players are needed.  But the basic ingredients are
there.  Pitino has not done as bad as job as many want to believe.  However,
this observation seems very reasonable to me and I wonder if anyone who
actually goes to the games and observes can comment on what Tom said.

--

Bentz Kirby
bocelts@usit.net