press vs players

I don't take anything you had to say personally. I'm glad that you wrote
what you did (you're certainly on target with Twon's play during the last 6
weeks) because I think this is an issue that probably needs to be aired.

I hear where you're coming from - the Globe triumvirate
(May/Shaughnessy/Ryan) have worked shamelessly, exaggerating a few of
Twon's shortcomings and inventing countless others to the point where the
guy is a "punk pariah" in his own house. And it sickens you to see these
same press poobahs employ a double standard - as it does me. The Globe
squirearchy certainly don't treat Pierce as badly as Twon - but then they
don't treat anyone as badly as that. But why take cheap shots at another
player just because these bozos "idolize" him. And in any case, I'm not so
sure that they do idolize Pierce, unless it provides an opportunity to
belittle Twon.

I think you understand that I don't want Paul treated as a saint. I think
too that if you reflect on Pierce's relationship to the press without
comparing it to the atrocity practiced on Twon, that you'll come to the
conclusion that Pierce has not necessarily been treated as a "saint".
Pierce's "sainthood" has been sullied at times in the press, in particular
in connection to his "low" draft selection (why? what's wrong?), his
performance after he was injured last year (his "tendency to drift" while
Mercer was jacking up everything in sight), the "crying" incident, and this
year when Peter May attempted single-handedly to create a public rift
between Pierce and Pitino over whether he should have removed his ankle
wrap. Sure, he hasn't been screwed over like Twon (again, who has?) but he
hasn't had an *entirely* free ride either.

The press haven't been above trying to manufacture a rift between Pierce
and Twon either, but thankfully they don't seem to have been successful. I
think the most obvious example of this is when Antoine paid his teammate
the highest compliment as a way of conveying his respect ("we're missing
our best player") and the press could only interpret it in a way demeaning
to Twon and potentially damaging to the team ("he's finally said Uncle -
Pierce is better!" "maybe he's maturing"). We as fans have to remember this
is not coming from Paul - it's not coming from Twon - it's all about the
twisted hatred of a few and what they'll stoop to in order to tear others
down.

Now, as to Heinsohn: My problem with Heinsohn is not because he criticizes
Paul - the ONLY reason he annoys me so is because I have no choice BUT to
listen to him if I want to get the play-by-play. I'm SURE that if I could
avoid his "commentary" like I do those bozos at the Globe that you would
never heard a peep from me - such venom usually condemns itself by its very
nature. Just seeing a by-line with the name "Shaughnessy" on it is warning
enough, as that slop filed from NJ so recently reminded us. But I DO have
to endure Heinie's tirades if I'm gong to watch the game and get the
play-by-play. And let's face it, the guy is such a nag! In any case, it's
sickening to deliberately try and "twon" another player simply because Twon
has gotten such a raw deal himself. It's trite, I know, but two wrongs
really don't make a right.

I don't mind Heinie LUVing folks, I don't mind him criticizing players -
heaven knows none of them are perfect and Pierce has lapses like they all
do. But when it comes to Pierce Heinie is nearing "Peter May" territory. I
sent the Coach my post and he was much more balanced last night - although
I'm sure it had NOTHING to do with my email and EVERYTHING to do with
Couz's presence. I almost fell off the sofa when he got on Twon for not
getting back on D. But when the game was done Heinie virtually parroted
what I said he'd say if Pierce had a good shooting game: Heinie minimized
the scoring, actually using it as a segue to pin the loss on Pierce for
letting Rose get off, concluding that "certain players" needed to do some
"soul searching". How you can blame ONE player when the opposition as a
whole hits for 56% and on that basis question that player's heart and
dedication in the baldest terms is beyond me.

(FWIW at this point I've concluded that the state of our team "defense" is
the responsibility of the coach, given the obvious pervasiveness of the
problem and the fact that the players are typically running from opponent
to opponent without half a chance to D up).

Its not fair when it's done to Twon by hacks like Shaughnessy and it's
STILL not fair when I HAVE to hear it being done to Paul while I'm trying
to watch the game and root for the team.

BTW for what it's worth, in the short time I've been on the list I haven't
found it to be THAT terribly anti-Twon. Now the news group, that's a whole
different story . . . talk about negative! If only we could blast the press
poobahs who are responsible for perpetuating such venom for the Fleet
flunkies to parrot - I'd be up for that! I'm sure between you and me that
we could give them what for!

Keep fighting the good fight - TomM