Re: On Bird & Pitino

[cut]

> Bird has brought a bunch of over-the-hill, unathletic, moderately
> talented veterans, and made them the best team in the East.  Those
> guys never did anything before Bird got there, and they've been vastly
> over-achieving since he got there.

Hi Andy,

Pretty much the same group of guys did win 52 games two years in a row
from 1994-1996, so it's not exactly true that they "never did anything".
Yes, they are unathletic, but haven't the Celtics succeeded in the past
with unathletic teams? They have size, great shooting, and a ton of
experience. I'm not saying that Bird hasn't done an outstanding job
but he did start out with a much better situation than Pitino did,
which I believe was Gene's original point.

Alex