Re: BSG's thoughts on the trade + readers' replies

> I have 2 questions for you, Warwick:
>
> 1) If Alvin Williams is so good, why was he given up on by two teams, and why is he averaging 3 apg and 6 ppg on 41% shooting? I could understand giving him a look-see in more reasonable circumstances (summer camp, minimum wage signing, 2nd round pick etc.), but for Fortson???

He was definitely not given up by the Portland Trailblazers. Yes, he was traded by Portland but only after Toronto demanded that he be included in the Damon Stoudamire trade. Wisely, the Blazers accepted their loss of Williams and acquired Damon Stoudamire, who at the time was a rising star.

> 2) If "the system" is so good, why are we the worst defensive team in the NBA, and, in the 3 years of using "the system", we're 0-for-3 in qualifying for the playoffs? Is it all players' fault, are they all bad fits for "the system", or perhaps not talented or dilligent enough?

I dont think that it is anybodies fault. Remember, Rick Pitino said that it would take three seasons for this team to make it to the playoffs. At the time he did not forsee that he would lose basically the second year of that due to the lockout. If he doesn't make the playoffs by the end of next season then yes, you can call him a failure. I'm willing to wait until then unless of course we acquire a player such as Sean Rooks <g> who will cause this team to grind to a halt and go
backwards; yes, I believe since RP has come in we have gone forwards, not to the extent that many of us expected, especially after such a wonderful first season, but forward enough that we have light at the end of the tunnel. There are a few people on this list who can see that happening.

Yes, we're such a frustrating team this year, but, we're a much better team than what we could have been had ML Carr or another incompetent coach come aboard. I still believe you'd take Rick Pitino over 80% of the coaches in this league.

Patience is our only blessing and yes its hard. <g>