RE: Tommy

Thanks for your comments re: Tommy. That's what I've always suspected, but
I was beginning to wonder. He had mentioned during the Phoenix game that he
and Westphal didn't always see eye to eye and, although I've never been a
fan of Westphal's, it got me to wondering if there was more of a pattern.

When you think about it, Heinsohn's been VERY lucky during his entire
career - only played for one coach (the best ever in Auerbach), played his
entire career with Russell (and hence not only was his defense "enhanced"
but he was part of the winning team virtually every year), only coached
under the same man who coached him (Auerbach), heck he didn't even have to
leave home to play in the bigs.

Heinsohn seems to appreciate how fortunate he has been, but sometimes I
wonder if he can fully empathize with players who may not be playing under
ideal circumstances; particularly those players who might have to struggle
physically/mentally with what the coaching staff is instructing them to do
(i.e., the impossible or improbable given size, skills, roles etc.) This
covers both those who are in the coaching staff's favor (Twon, Waltah) and
in the doghouse (Fortson, Battie) because both sorts of players may be
asked to do things they may not be capable of thereby exposing the players
(but typically not the staff) to press and fan criticism.

I think given his past success that Heinsohn has difficulty at times with
the concept that the players may actually be doing all that's asked of them
and yet favorable results may STILL not be forthcoming. All the hustle and
heart in the world can't get it done if you're asked to shovel sand against
the tide, and Heinsohn doesn't seem to not understand how wearing and
demoralizing this perception (justified or not) can be on the players
mentally.

-TomM