No Subject

Jim Meninno wrote:

"I was trying to think of some curse to wish on Dave D'Alessandro for the
worst piece of hack journalism I've read this century, but he already works
in Newark, and I couldn't think of anything worse. What an ass."

I've come around on Toine and recognize the strides he's made this season,
but I wouldn't call this story a "hack" piece. A lot of what he says is
true. Toine remains exasperatingly inconsistent and you'd be hard-pressed to
make a compelling argument that he hasn't contributed as much as anyone to
hindering the progress of this team to this point. Pitino has made Toine the
foundation of the Celts and, up to now, it's been a shaky foundation. At the
same time, we've been caught in the unenviable position of being virtually
unable to trade him, either by rule (base year) or by principle (you just
can't get equal value for him because of his perception around the league).
Pitino has been held hostage by Walker. Luckily, he finally seems to be
making real progress.

I don't see D'Alessandro's piece as being grossly unfair. I think, looking
at it with a less biased perspective from the outside, he reached a fair
conclusion. But, I also think we've weathered the worst of Toine and soon
will start reaping the rewards of Pitino's patience (at least I hope).

Mark Berry
(614) 424-3531
berrym@battelle.org <mailto:berrym@battelle.org>