Schadenfreude

Forgot to mention before -- almost as much fun as seeing the
erstwhile-snakebitten Celtics CELEBRATING a buzzer-beater for a change
(take THAT, Nick Van Exel/Vince Carter/Anthony Peeler!) was the look on
Byron Scott's face.  Earlier in the game I had explained to my daughter
Elizabeth (age 6) that the Nets' coach had played for the Lakers for many
years; she immediately began chanting "Beat LA!"  Certainly I would have
preferred to have seen the C's do this to Barney and Company at the
Staples Center (or, of course, to Scott and his old mates at the Forum),
but this'll do.

On the way home we listened to the Nets' postgame show.  The callers were
angrier and more depressed than I've ever heard a Celtics fan.  A common
theme was recalling another infamous moment from the Meadowlands sports
complex -- Joe Pisarcik's fumble in the late 70s that turned a sure Giants
victory into a gamewinning Philadelphia touchdown.  I disagree.  This was
more than that.  All Eagles DB Herman Edwards had to do was pick up the
ball and run 20 or 30 yards untouched.  Last night's miracle was stupidity
of epic proportions combined with a spectacular play from the least likely
player on the court to have made it.  This was the Bad News Bears, with
Timmy Lupus hitting a grand slam off a bad pitch in the bottom of the
ninth.

If you're reading this list, Milt Palacio, I hope you enjoy every second
of this day, and I hope that someone taped the game for you and made a
bunch of backup copies.  Thanks for a special moment.

Michael Gooen