Re: O/T: Tragedy

Not directly, but McDermott (the killer) lived in my town, Haverhill.
His neighbors were surprised and freaked.They said he's always been
friendly (though a loner), and helped them out with computer problems.
That section of town used to be a drug neighborhood, but has
been cleaned up over the past few years (Haverhill itself
is a bit on the up and up). That particular triple-decker has a lot
of rental turnover. He hadn't lived there long - moved
up from Marshfield, I think.   IMHO, the IRS has no business making
employers do their collections for them.  I feel for all
those people and their families, as well as for my accounting
dept.

Haverhill is a smallish city on the Merrimack River north of Boston.
It's a few towns down river from the ocean (in Newburyport), between
the larger mill cities of Lawrence/Lowell, and the smaller
river towns like Amesbury and Merrimac. Its history is
both aggie and industrial (shoes), and is one of the few affordable
places left near Boston.  Nice place, on the whole (and voted
by somebody as the #1 place to live in America ; )

  --Ellie