Van Gundy defends Pitino

Seems like people who have worked closely with Pitino think he's the greatest
(e.g. Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson), while just about everyone else thinks he
can't be successful in the NBA.  Here's an excerpt from a Globe article.

Reference:
http://www.globe.com/dailyglobe2/357/sports/Van_Gundy_gives_Pitino_vote_of_confidence+.shtml

Van Gundy gives Pitino vote of confidence

NEW YORK - In the NBA coaching fraternity, Rick Pitino may not have many
colleagues as supportive as the Knicks' Jeff Van Gundy.

The professional relationship between the two goes back to the days when
Pitino coached at Providence College. Van Gundy was a graduate assistant
when the Friars made their run to the Final Four in 1987. From that
experience and from following Pitino's career, Van Gundy has great faith in
Pitino's ability to lead the Celtics.

''I don't understand all the negativity around their team,'' said Van Gundy
before the Celtics' 92-86 win. ''I don't get it. I watch a team that plays
hard, plays right. They've had some tough losses, but they've had some
injuries at key positions.

''I don't understand the negativity about their coach. I've worked for him.
He's great. And they're not getting anybody better. I'll tell you that. I
don't understand it. I think they've done a good job.''

Van Gundy also did not rule out the possibility of the Celtics making the
playoffs. Although Van Gundy said he understands Pitino has a difficult job
in a town with high expectations, he seemed to believe Pitino has been
viewed unfairly for reasons beyond the Celtics coach's control.

''My whole thing is that I worked for the guy,'' said Van Gundy. ''I think
I'm objective. He's a great coach, not good, great. They are not ever going
to get a better coach. Rebuilding is hard in this league. No one ever in
their town takes into account that other teams want to win, too. They
haven't made the playoffs, but it is not like teams in Orlando, New York,
or Cleveland don't want to make the playoffs. There are eight spots. I
expect them to be right in the hunt.''