Re: [Celtic_Pride] Re: The Truth about Cats and Pitinos

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cecil Wright" <cecil@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: <celtics@igtc.com>; "Celtic Lists (E-mail)" <celtic_pride@egroups.com>
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 1:30 AM
Subject: [Celtic_Pride] Re: The Truth about Cats and Pitinos

> Mark, you are right to a degree about teams winning based off the play of
> their star players.  But not always in the playoffs however.  That is when
> teams design their defenses to make someone else beat you rather than the
> stars.  Remember the old Sixers when they had Moses and the Doc?  Where
> would they have been without Andrew Toney or Bobby Jones or Mo Cheeks?  Or
> the Pistons without Vinny Johnson or Rodman?  Or even the Bulls without
> Paxson?  Or the Spurs without Elie?

And the Celtics currently have how many players of the calibre of Moses and
the Doc? Isiah or Dantley? Jordan and Pippen? Granted great role players are
needed.....when you have star players to put them around. We don't even have
consistently good players

> Imagine where the Suns would be without Cliff Robinson or Rodney Rogers.

Cliff Robinson has made about 5 more all-star teams than Antoine. I guess
that makes him a role player too then...

> I'm not sure if you are old enough to relate to the old Celtic teams, but
> guys like Larry Siegfried rose to the occasion in the playoffs to save our
> bacon many times.  Don Chaney was probably invisible many times on the
> court, but he was especially invaluable in the playoffs with the job he
did
> on the opposition's best guard, allowing JoJo just enough freedom to take
> chances which paid off more often than not.

Granted I'm 26, and didn't have the pleasure of seeing the great C's teams
of the past. I have to live via old videos and classic sports channels. I am
barely old enough to remember the last time we won a championship, and to
know the league has changed significantly since then. To the worse IMO too.

> I do understand your point but it ain't always that simple.  If it were,
the
> Spurs or Lakers wouldn't lose a game.

The Spurs and Lakers have won the last two championships.....the Celtics
haven't won close to 40 games either year. Maybe his point is that simple?

Simon
Ulcerate - http://mp3.com/ulcerate