Open forum

As I understand it, the idea of an open forum is not "somewhere I can write
my opinions/flames without being disagreed with." Many times on this list,
strong statements, both positive and negative, are challenged. If the
person who made the statement backs it up with a rational argument, I
believe that person is well respected by most everyone on the list. On the
other hand, if that person consistently whines that being disagreed with
violates his or her right to free speech, obviously dodges the issue, vents
like a child, or begins name-calling, many on the list are going to stop
treating that person like a rational adult. Personally I would prefer if
these types were ignored rather than ridiculed although I can understand
the impulse. It's like wasting your time trying to squash an annoying bug
when it would probably go away if you left it alone.

Alex