Toine Talks Some More

Trade talk ticks off 'Toine: Wants to stay put with C's
by Mark Cofman
Boston Herald
Tuesday, August 29, 2000

Antoine Walker's inaugural summer basketball camp for Boston inner-city
youth concluded last weekend at HealthPoint. After thanking campers and
staffers for participating in the three-day event, the Celtics captain
sat down at a table for about an hour to sign autographs.

Like the camp, the autographs were free. Walker signed everything
imaginable - posters, jerseys, hats, sneakers, balls, books - and
graciously stopped to pose for camera-toting parents seizing a photo
opportunity with their child. In between, he spoke of his plans to make
the camp an annual event at the Celtics' practice facility.

There is one hitch, however. Walker will need to be a member of the
Celtics next summer to bring those plans to fruition. And if you've kept
up with the wheeling and dealing around the NBA this offseason, that
isn't exactly etched in stone. Various Celtics trade rumors have
included Walker's name.

Naturally, Walker has heard the rumors. Other than wishing they would
stop altogether, he hopes he's at least heard the last of them for this
year.

``Obviously, seeing your name in trade talks is disturbing and upsetting
because it makes you feel unwanted,'' said Walker, who runs similar
camps at home in Chicago during the summer. ``I suppose this type of
thing happens at some time or another to just about everyone who plays
professional sports. Trades go with the territory.

``And I understand completely that this is a business, and that if you
have a chance to improve your team by making a deal, you have to take
advantage of that while it's there. The Celtics have every right to
pursue deals, no matter whose name comes up.''

Still, Walker knows it's his name that comes up more often than not.
Partly, that's because he's one of the few truly gifted players on the
Celtics' roster. From a player's perspective, that part is flattering.

But Walker also knows his up-and-down relationship with Celtics
president/coach Rick Pitino, dating back to their national championship
days at Kentucky, puts an entirely different spin on these rumors each
and every time they surface.

He thinks the general perception of fans and media is that he's part of
the Celtics' problem. He knows that some believe the team, which has
failed to make the playoffs since 1995, would be better off without him.
Walker freely admits that part hurts the most.

``You want the fans to know you're trying as hard as you can and that
all of the losing is getting to you too,'' he said. ``Then, while you're
trying to help turn things around, you want to know the team would like
to keep you around for the better times ahead because it believes in you
as a player and as a person.

``It's like anything else in life. If you feel wanted, it's going to
make you try that much harder to prove the people who believed in you
were right all along. Knowing the team is behind you also helps you
mentally prepare for the season, and for the goals you and everybody
else have put forth.''

Those goals are cut-and-dried this season. The Celtics are in desperate
need of a postseason appearance. Walker is too. Entering his fifth NBA
season, he has yet to participate in a playoff game. He figures the
upcoming season will change that footnote on his portfolio. He hopes
it's in Boston.

``I could do without all these (trade) rumors, of course, but at the
same time I'm very excited about the team and coming back this year,''
he said. ``It's a new season, and I honestly think we can do something.

``I started my career here and we were one of the worst teams in the
league. Now, finally, I think we have the talent and experience to turn
things around and bring the Celtics back. I'd love to be a part of that.
This is where I want to be.''