Walker won't work here... sigh

I've been mulling this latest Pitino-Toine fiasco, and I've come to the
conclusion (later than most, I guess) that it just won't work for Toine
here. Certainly not with Pitino, and I'm not sure who Toine would fit with.
Pitino values conditioning more than any coach in the league. It seems to me
he doesn't demand a lot of Toine-he gives him a long leash in terms of his
play, allowing Toine to do what he wants out there and play a lot of
minutes, even when an argument could be made that he's hurting the team.
Seems to me the only thing he has asked in return is a commitment to fitness
and improving his body. Toine refuses.

Now, maybe you don't agree with Pitino's personnel moves or even his
"system," but can't we all agree that if you are the team's best,
highest-paid player and team captain, you should be held accountable to the
coach's fitness requests, even if you disagree with them? I know sports and
the real world are two different things, but don't we all put up with and
abide by policies in our own jobs that we don't agree with? Why should
Pitino expect any less from Toine?

I suspect any Toine trade at this point will yield disappointing returns. He
remains one of the few players in the league capable of a triple-double any
night, and that talent won't be easily replaced. But Pitino's hand is being
forced. He has made no secret of the fact that he is reconfiguring this team
to press and run more, putting an emphasis on quickness, speed, athleticism
and conditioning. Is he going to allow Toine to undermine the effort he and
presumably the rest of the players on the roster have put forth to make it
happen? He shouldn't. Maybe you can make an argument that trading Toine at
this point amounts to addition by subtraction. And if the package is O'Neil
and Wells, great. Pitino has salvaged something out of a bad situation.

But if Pitino and Toine spend the season together, it could get ugly. Toine
clearly is going to show up out of shape. Pitino clearly will be fed up if
that happens. A lackluster Toine will mean another 35-win debacle, a good
bye to Pitino and a rebuilding effort (probably without Toine). No, the best
option for everyone is to do the deal now. Maybe Toine will turn into Chris
Webber in a different environment. Or maybe Juwan Howard or Derrick Coleman.
None of us really know, but it's clear it isn't going to work out in Boston.

Mark