DJ/Westphal

Wow, I did not know this. I knew that DJ and Westphal
both played for the C's, Suns and Sonics (trivia
question), but did not know that DJ and Westphal were
traded for each other in Summer 1980, just after the
WCF defeat to the Lakers. Lenny Wilkens though DJ was
a "cancer" (?!?) in the locker room and on the court
and wanted him out of town. DJ led the Suns to the
Pacific Division Crown in 1981 while the Sonics missed
the playoffs due to Gus Williams sitting the season
out in a contract dispute. Westphal went on to play
for the Knicks and one more duty with the Suns I
believe.

While I would have liked to see Westphal play with
Bird, it could be argued had we kept Westphal the C's
would not have sunk far enough in the late 70s to land
Bird and further had DJ not been traded to Phoenix
(for Westphal) we may not have landed DJ in '83 (for
Rick Robey). Another chapter in the C's saga! '57-86
was a hell of a run. Still paying for it.