Walker/Holley Thoughts

What an unfortunate interview Walker gave.  Makes me wonder what he
was hoping to accomplish by even _being_ on the show.  Some of the
things he said (i.e. the Celtics problems are on defense, not
offense) are true, if a bit obvious, and as Jim M. mentioned, I
appreciate the irony of Walker using Pitinioisms to describe Pitino,
but of course, some of the things Walker said were ... disappointing.

Antoine Walker is not fat.  Shawn Kemp is not fat.  We have a very
screwed-up idea about what is obese in this country, but it is true
that these guys are athletes.  I mean, I think remarks about
Antoine's breakfast-eating at 4am are in poor taste (he did get
robbed at gunpoint, after all), but if he doesn't think he needs to
follow the team workout regimen then something is dreadfully wrong.
And professional athletes ought to be little more thick-skinned when
it comes to trade rumors.  Occupational hazard, isn't it?  Tough it
out.  I mean, even if you have to rail and scream in private,
publicly you're better served if you maintain a calm exterior about
your possible departure.  Whining about management's listening to
offers for you from other teams is, of course, ridiculous.  As
someone mentioned, what is RP supposed to do -- hang up the phone
when he hears Antoine's name?

But let us not spare Il Duce.  Questioning your captain's heart,
desire, and conditioning at a camp for kids is unwise.  It will not
breed a helpful atmosphere and may serve only to worsen it (as it
seems to have done.)  You're the coach/dictator -- you must establish
the rules, and make sure all team people toe the line -- including
yourself (I think Pitino has some rule about keeping criticisms
between the team, and not public).  In the end, Pitino and Walker are
obviously two very stubborn people.

(Did anyone else find Walker's "wing player" statement unnerving?  I
mean, I'd like to see Antoine at the small forward position, too --
down on the box or within 13 feet or so of the hoop.  His statement
made me envision him yelling "Jackin' it up boss" everytime he came
near the three-point line.  Yikes.)

Michael Holley, Michael Holley.  Not doing anyone any favors, except
his paper.  Not the team, not the fans, and not even Antoine.  It's a
mistake to characterize Holley as an Antoine supporter (or even a
supporter of his ... ah, supporter, if you see what I mean), because
that's just the persona he writes from in order to establish his own
importance/create more conflict/sell more papers.  He's a columnist,
but also a journalist (or what passes for a journalist).  His
dedication to truth and the reporting of such just hits me right
about ... here.  I'd pay good money to see a bare knuckle, ten-round,
brawl between Holley and Peter May -- two guys who are obviously
opposite in some ways, but the same in the most important: their
desire to exploit situations for their own benefit.  The only problem
with the brawl I mentioned is that one of them is likely to survive.

In the end, though, this bit of off-season news has put me in a bit
of a funk.  If our captain doesn't think he needs to use the
off-season to improve (his conditioning, his skills, whatever) then
the chances that he will improve decline sharply.  It's not as if
anyone thinks that if Antoine Walker plays the same, he'll somehow
end up as an All-Star again.  He's obviously got to improve.  Wish
he'd see that.

One more year, one more chance.

Regards,

Bill

P.S. If you're thinking you might be traded, wouldn't that make you
want to work all that harder during the off-season to, in part, prove
how wrong the team was for trading you?