----- Original Message ----- From: Alex Wang <awang@mit.edu>

> Our roster now looks like:
>
> C: Potapenko, Battie, Blount
> PF: Walker, Moiso, McCarty
> SF: Pierce, E. Williams
> SG: Griffin, Cheaney, Carr
> PG: Anderson, Brown, Pack
> injured: Minor
> soon to be ex-Celtics: Hot Rod, Ellison, Overton
>
> The positions that I assigned are just guesses based on the
> positions listed on NBA.com. And of course many players can
> play two positions. I am actually betting that Battie ends
> up starting and would not be surprised at all to see
> Potapenko dealt as the team moves towards more athleticism.

Hey Alex,  it's good to hear from you.  Without quibbling about positions, I
would say that Cheaney and Carr will primarily back up Pierce, while
Griffin, Williams and even McCarty will fight for the final starting
position and back each other up.

My thoughts are that, if the starting 5 is the same as last year, Kenny,
Paul, Adrian, Antoine, V, it is very unathletc.  Pierce is the only real
athletic starter, and that's somewhat neutralized by him playing guard.
Also, the 3 spot is still weak.  None of those guys are real starter
quality.  I think Pitino wants to change that.  He's been talking about
Battie winning the starting center's job, which would certainly add
athleticism to the starting lineup, but I don't think he's ready.  He
doesn't play strong enough man defense or score consistently enough.  I do
think that Battie and Moiso have more potential as starters than any of the
3's, though.  It seems so natural that the way to add talent, and
athleticism, to the starting lineup would be to start Walker with Battie or
Moiso and V (or Jermaine O'Neal, but personally I'd keep V.  We need *some*
muscle).  I know this hasn't happened yet because Antoine supposedly can't
defend 3's.  It just seems like we're going around and around in circles,
and I always come back to thinking that this is the solution.  I mean,
Antoine as a roving defender, looking to get in the passing lanes (he's
actually pretty good at that) would make sense from the 3 position.  His
offense could stay primarily in the post, with some slashing moves and ball
handling (as long as he stays in dishing mode) without any more jump
shooting.  I just don't see why it can't happen, but it doesn't look like it
will.

I think you were right on in your point about the acquisitions all being
athletic and who gets the most minutes.

Jim