Re: why did the C's misread the market?

In a message dated 08/21/2000 5:08:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
EsteppJM@appstate.edu writes:

<< Celtics have little to show for offseason deals
 AUGUST 17, 2000
 http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/teams/celtics/

Pitino has made many bad trades, but this one may top them all. They  will
tout the draft pick as justification, but the bottom line is that  Fortson
never should have come to Boston because Mercer never should  have left. The
Celtics misread the marketplace in both instances.

I have seen this mentioned a couple of times.  In what way did the C's
misread the market? It appears to me that the players (particularly Mercer)
did. - EsteppJM@appstate.edu >>

Mark,

The C's didn't misread the market place at all. If anything, they (RP and
Wallace) had it nailed spot on. Want proof? Mercer ended up signing in
Chicago for exactly what the C's offered him a year ago.

Master P. AKA No Limits, Inc. misread and misadvised Mercer about his worth.
That set in motion a series of events that culminated with the Fortson trade
last week. I'd say that despite the cards that Pitino was dealt, he still
managed to play them into a winning hand.

Issel had to give up an additional guaranteed lottery pick (anyone think the
Nuggets make the playoffs this year?) and $3 million in cash for the
privilege of paying Abdul-Wahad $43 million.

John Gabriel got nothing for Mercer. Some would argue that the Magic got
McGrady for Mercer but that's totally innacurate. McGrady was signed, sealed,
and delivered BEFORE Mercer walked out the door. The Magic didn't renounce
Mercer to create cap room to sign either Hill or McGrady. And you can't
convince me the Magic's master plan was to let Mercer walk so they could sign
Dee Brown.

This is simply an example of more "piling on" by the media and kicking
somebody when they're down. That's real easy to do when things are going bad.
I wonder if these same "journalists" will have the intestinal fortitude to
write they were unfair and wrong when this thing gets turned around.