why did the C's misread the market?

Celtics have little to show for offseason deals
AUGUST 17, 2000 Print it
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/teams/celtics/

Pitino has made many bad trades, but this one may top them all. They
will tout the draft pick as justification, but the bottom line is that
Fortson never should have come to Boston because Mercer never should
have left. The Celtics misread the marketplace in both instances.

I have seen this mentioned a couple of times.  In what way did the C's misread the market? It appears to me that the players (particularly Mercer) did.
J. Mark Estepp
Chair, Department of Technology
Appalachian State University
esteppjm@appstate.edu