Re: Suggestion: trade Hot Rod Williams to Cavs

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:16:42 GMT, Joe Moriarty
<mustyceltic@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>Kevin, I might have missed a "clause" while thrashing through the
>>bargaining agreement FAQ , after reading your post, but it looks like
>>this could be done. First, I wanted to be sure Hot Rod is not a free
>>agent. Looking at Bender's web site told me he is not a FA until 01. If
>>he were a FA there would, I think, be a 3 month waiting period AFTER HE
>>SIGNS with us.

He is under contract for this coming season for about
2.1 mil. I think you can't move him after 48hours and
within 60days. I don't think the C's would want him
hogging a roster space. If they can't trade him before
season starts, I think he would be waived. We've got
his salary covered anyway with Cuban's 3 mil.

>>The motivation for us doing this, I agree with, both from point of view
>>of a second round pick agreement from Cavs; and from the view you
>>expressed well, in writing of Hot Rod's approaching retirement, and neat
>>to do it as a Cav, which was his team of career origin. The "p.r."
>>connotations are not troubling to me <g> ; the Cavs would either
>>appreciate the gesture (best result), or it would be just "noted, and
>>left at that", which is still cool, if we get the second round pick.

If we trade Hot Rod's 2.1mil to the Cavs (or anybody)
we've got to take back a player making about the same
(within 15% + 100k), therefore the new replacement
would still take up the "Klack's" roster spot. I think
we need a third team who is under the cap, so that they
could take up the player, but I don't think the bulls
or clips wants to help in this case

I think more likely Hot Rod would be waived. Also I
don't see anybody at the Cavs that desirable (exept the
pick)

cheers
kevin