No Subject

>From: Joe Hironaka <j.hironaka@unesco.org>
>

>  But the thing is that
>GM's are with good reason wary about all other classic 'tweener
>categories like
>the one you focus on (the 6-7 or even 6-8 college power forward) and the 6-2
>shooting guard category (Sam Vincent etc) yet they keep on getting seduced by
>6-11 skinny guys with good measurables in terms of athleticism but who can't
>hold ground in the paint and eventually only give you 6 rebounds per game or
>worse.

Good point, Joe.  There does seem to be a proliferation of these
types of players in the recent NBA: Ratliff, Battie, McDyess, Camby,
even O'Neal, maybe a Keon Clark, and a lot more guys that nobody
remembers.  Moiso seems to be another in a long line of skinny,
athletic shotblockers.  Only problem is, some of these guys are as
advertised, and some aren't.  Ratliff's a defensive force, and we're
still wondering when Tony Battie's athleticism and long, skinny frame
will translate into actual blocks in actual games, or even just
making the offensive player change his shot.  Or having any defensive
effect on the game at all.  Is he a bust?  It was too early for Issel
to call him "El Busto" three years ago and it's too early even now,
but unless Battie improves coming in to next year, he'll have his bus
tickets to "el Terra del Busto."

>Moiso could work out well for Boston without question, but basically we are
>putting faith above all in Pitino's teaching ability and Moiso's flashy
>one-on-one workouts. And if Moiso develops the habits of other Pitino-taught
>players (Walker, McCarty, Mashburn in his youth) then in no time you'll have a
>guy jacking up threes and shooting .400 from the field.

This is what worries me about trying Moiso at the three-spot.  He'll
be doing his best Wallah impersonation, and it'll get the team
nowhere.  He, like Battie, ought to be working on low-post moves,
defense, and a nice mid-range jumper (like the pick-and-pop plays
they run for V).  Haven't heard of Battie or Moiso or any Celtic for
that matter signing up for Pete Newell's Big Man camps, though, and
that's too bad.

>Unless Moiso is a much more consistent and productive player than Battie (even
>for me, hope springs eternal), the Celtics go into next season
>lousier on paper
>than last year's 37 win team.

I'm not so sure, Joe.  A utilized Fortson is an asset, an
under-utilized Fortson is an ineffective Fortson.  Since Pitino
refused to use Fortson effectivly last year, we don't really lose
much if we let him go.  You've added an unknown commodity (Blount),
an unknown rookie commodity (Moiso), and a backup point (Brown) that
plays D and has a good, winning attitude.

Actually, Joe, you're right -- on paper the team is probably worse.
But, since the coaching staff's use of Fort is a complete wash, in
practical terms, it's around the same, but given the possibility that
the returning players have improved and the chance that the new
players will contribute, it's possible we could be better.  (There's
a whole lot of "possibles" and "chances" and "might bes" there, I
know, but that's life -- we won't know until we see a good chuck of
the season.)

Regards,

Bill