http://www.bostonherald.com/sport/basketball/celts08042000.htm

C's have a ringleader: Brown brings winning attitude from Chicago
by Mark Cofman
Friday, August 4, 2000

Randy Brown is from Chicago. The former Bulls point guard is already
familiar with long, cold winters. He's also become familiar with losing
the last few years.

Brown says the New England weather won't bother him. But the newest
member of the Celtics admits he's had more than enough of losing. He
closes the book on his career in Chicago and begins a new one in Boston
confident the Celtics are ready to turn things around.

``I think this team is a couple of road wins and some buzzer-beaters
away,'' said Brown, introduced to the media at HealthPoint yesterday.
``They had some games where they were right there knocking at the door,
but they didn't win. You take care of a few things and you're looking at
a playoff team.''

Celtics coach Rick Pitino and general manager Chris Wallace can only
hope so. The upcoming season marks their fourth at the helm. Like last
year, they've targeted 2000-01 as the season in which they stop the
longest playoff drought in the Atlantic Division. The Celtics last
appeared in a postseason game in 1995.

Wallace and Pitino believe Brown brings the Celtics one step closer to
their goal. They signed him to a three-year contract with the team's
$2.25 million exception, filling a need for a backup to Kenny Anderson
while adding a veteran influence. The latter has been in short supply
for the Celtics in recent years.

``Randy is somebody we've been watching closely for a number of years,''
said Wallace, who presented Brown with uniform No. 20. ``He especially
caught my attention not only in the championship years (with the Bulls),
but one particular overtime game we played against Chicago during the
lockout season when he had close to a triple-double.

``He's a tremendous athlete, and he certainly can play the point guard
position well. He's a tenacious defender who will help us considerably
in that department. But we're also pleased about the person who we're
getting here - the leadership and credibility he'll bring.

``We're not just adding a player here. We're adding an individual who
brings a definite veteran presence. We've been looking for that for a
long time.''

That is one of the primary reasons Brown chose the Celtics over a
similar offer from Milwaukee or re-signing with the Bulls, for whom he
played the last five years and earned three championship rings.

``Going through the free agent process, I kept on talking to Chris and
talking to coach Pitino and I kept thinking the situation here is
perfect for me,'' he said. ``I think they're a team that's ready to
burst out, and I thought I was the perfect person to come in and help
them along.

``They're young, they're athletic, they do a good job of getting up and
down the court. But defensively, I think there are areas that need to be
cleared up. I think I have a lot to contribute in that way.

``I'll be able to spell Kenny for some minutes and make him stronger and
better in the fourth quarter. I'll be in his ear when he's screwing up.
It's just the little things, but sometimes they go a long way.''

Brown did say he would refrain from force-feeding his new teammates fond
memories of the Bulls' glory years.

``There's enough tradition around here, I won't be throwing that upon
them,'' he said. ``My job will be to demonstrate how you go out and try
to win every basketball game - to take every game as a challenge. You
have to go into every game feeling you can win it.

``That's what's going to make or break this team.''