Re: let's not do anything we might regret...

Pete,

  Nice post!

  I've been too busy to post lately, but if I'd had the time to post,
I'd have wanted to say all the things you said.

  I want to all these trade rumor-mongers to just chill.  I think the
"let's make a big deal NOW" attitude that so many on this list exhibit
is just the attitude that got Pitino in trouble in some of his early
trades with the Celtics.  He wanted a winning team RIGHT AWAY and made
hasty trades.  It sounds like many of you are falling victim to the same
mentality.  You'll never win if you keep changing 2/3 of your team every
year.

  Overall I'm not as down on Pitino's trade record as many on this list
are.  It's not easy to get other teams to agree to trades which work
out to your benefit.  It has to be perceived BY both teams to HELP BOTH
teams.  Pitino has gone young intentionally, too, and that means if we're
patient, get good young players and sign them to long term contracts, we
could have a super-strong team in a few years, as long as they develop.
Don't give up on Battie so soon.  Randy Brown will help with defending
point gaurds and will provide much-needed leadership and championship
experience.  Players will listen to him.  That's utterly important on a
young team!

  I'm also quite disgusted with the cynicism about some of the trades
& signings being rumored & proposed & made by the Celtics.  The assumption
that Pitino is trying to "tank" the whole season is just ludicrous!  If
you really paid any attention to what Pitino is like you'd know he just
doesn't have it in his emotional makeup to let his team go bad.  I don't
think losing bothers him so much as lack of progress and improvement does.
He just doesn't want to go backwards to go forward.  He wants to go forward
fast and always.  Of course, he might be better off taking a step back for
the long term good, I just don't think he can stand to do it emotionally.

  Anyone who thinks the Celtics should dump Adrian Griffin at the end of
the season to clear cap space has got to have a few screws loose.  He's
the kind of guy who'll never earn an all-star's salary, but will help you
win games just as much as an all-star will.

  There!  Phew!  Got that off my back!

Jon Mc