Fortson Could Be Heading Back To The Celtics

If no sign-and-trade is worked out...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/08/01/SP14658.DTL

(Thanks to BSG for mentioning it. I'd re-sign him, rather than making
another bad deal.)

Foyle, Fortson at Forefront of Warriors' Plans

Brad Weinstein, Chronicle Staff Writer    Tuesday, August 1, 2000

The talk that dominated the past month will be accompanied by action
beginning today when NBA teams officially can start signing free agents
and announcing trades.

The Warriors hope to be involved in what should be a league- wide flurry
of activity during the next week or two by fulfilling their two main
objectives: re-signing Adonal Foyle and homing in on a deal for
free-agent power forward Danny Fortson.

The former is less complicated because Foyle has expressed a desire to
return, and the Warriors can exceed the salary cap, if necessary, to
lock up the free-agent center. The Warriors currently do not have a
viable backup for Erick Dampier, who is coming off a season shortened to
21 games by knee and wrist surgeries.

``We sure are working hard to bring him back,'' St. Jean said, adding
that he has shared ``positive dialogue'' with Foyle's representatives.

Neither Foyle, who is in the Bahamas, nor his agent, Curtis Polk, could
be reached for comment yesterday.

St. Jean spoke cryptically about Fortson, who played this past season
with the Boston Celtics, and declined to answer specific questions about
him. The Warriors have courted Fortson, 24, and made considerable
inroads when he visited the Bay Area two weeks ago. According to a
league source speaking on the condition of anonymity, Fortson was at
first indifferent about even meeting with the Warriors, but he took an
immediate liking to St. Jean and was impressed with the team's
presentation.

``The exercise has been very positive for the organization,'' St. Jean
said. ``But the fact is you have to get that end result. . . . If we get
to a point where we have a new Warrior, we'll have more to talk about.
We have everything in perspective. We have a Plan A, B and C in this
process.''

St. Jean did say that nabbing a player through a three-team sign-
and-trade deal -- the likely means to getting Fortson -- is a realistic
option for the Warriors, who only have their $2.25 million and $1.2
million exceptions to offer directly to free agents.

``Yes, it's challenging, but it can be done,'' St. Jean said. ``I sure
would like to be included in that history page.''

A source confirmed last week that one deal, among others, being
mentioned would send the Warriors' Vinny Del Negro to Boston, a
re-signed Fortson to Golden State and the Warriors' Terry Cummings plus
a draft pick (most likely a second-round selection) to the Chicago
Bulls. By moving Del Negro and Cummings, the Warriors would clear enough
room under the salary cap -- which will rise from $34 million to $35.5
million for the 2000-01 season -- to take on Fortson's new contract.

Meanwhile, Fortson's agent dismissed a published report from a New York
newspaper that his client would accept the Warriors' mid-level exception
of $2.25 million.

reiterated there was ``no chance whatsoever'' that Fortson would sign
for that amount, indicating Fortson would rather take more money and go
back to Boston if no sign-and-trade deals were struck.

The contenders for Fortson have remained the same. The Orlando Magic are
believed to be pursuing either Fortson or Los Angeles Clippers
free-agent power forward Maurice Taylor, dangling forwards Matt Harpring
and Pat Garrity in potential sign-and-trade arrangements. The New York
Knicks also are interested in adding Fortson and are looking to unload
reserve point guard Chris Childs.

Fortson said last weekend that he would have ``no problem at all'' if
the Warriors worked out a way to acquire him.

``It's still one of the places I'm definitely considering,'' Fortson
said. ``I'm just going to take my time with this because it's an
important decision I have to make. I want to look at all the options
before deciding anything.''