RE: What this team needs

Hello Celtics fans,

I think Kenny Anderson pretends that next year he will actually assume the
role of "veteran presence" for our team.  I saw him yell, " Come on V !"
when Vitaly threw Kenny a lazy pass that was almost intercepted.  I later
saw the two of them talking in a friendly manner right after a timeout.  If
Kenny is serious about "talking to teammates on the court" and increasing
his passing (read assists), then I believe his veteran presence is enough
for the Celtics.

I agree with you that the team doesn't need drastic changes.  I've been
toying with the idea of the following lineup:

1. Point Guard :        Kenny Anderson
2. Shooting Guard:   Antoine Walker
3. Small Forward:      Paul Pierce
4. Power Forward:    Danny Fortson
5. Center:                   Vitaly Potapenko

Now, this lineup hinges on Antoine's promise to get into shape and practice
on defending against smaller and faster players this summer.  If Walker
prepares this way, he can play shooting guard.  He can bring the ball up
half as much as Kenny (which Antoine already does), and he can post up now
and again, just as he does. The only change would be that he MUST guard the
other team's guards with serious, focused defense.  I saw Antoine, in the
Knicks game, guarding by walking, with one hand up in the air continually,
from the top of the key to the baseline of the opposite corner, through the
paint, effectively neutralizing the possibility of a pass to a Knick who was
"cutting".  That one conscientious defensive move, stopped a potential
layup.  If Antoine comes back with this kind of game, he could play shooting
guard, defensively, and do the same as he has been doing lately,
offensively.

Kenny Anderson, in this lineup, stays as point guard.  In addition he should
return with intentions of passing more and getting the players to talk to
each other ON THE COURT.  I want to hear them yelling out "My Bad",  and "I
got it!", and "Need Help here!" etc.  It is Kenny's job to get this court
chatter going.   Have you considered that the more the guys talk to each
other on the court, the less Pitino will scream from the bench?

In this lineup, Vitaly stays at center.  He should continue to do what he's
been doing best.  First of all he covers the opposing team's big man, on
defense, neutralizing the guy's game and getting him flustered.  He will
probably get at least two fouls within the first quarter, but the big man
will be dishing out more, taking more fade aways and missing them, losing
confidence, and his teammates will pass to him less.  Vitaly has been
getting and initiating more steals by intercepting passes to the big man.
See what he did to Ewing in the Knicks game.  Also Vitaly, on offense
usually hits a high percentage of his short range jumpers, including his
spots on the side, near the baseline.  He sets good screens, and picks and
rolls.  Vitaly needs to ADD to his game, please, a strong two step move to
the basket for a loud, violent, and GRIMACING, slam dunk.  He had two
chances to do so in the knicks game and didn't.  Dan Fortson did, once in
that game.  V needs this move and shot, to draw the foul and intimidate
other teams.  He is supposed to be our intimidator, and as mean as he is, he
needs to be meaner.  Perhaps even shave the head again.  Maybe get a little
longer goatee so he looks like Rasputin.  Additionally, Vitaly needs to add
more moves that involve putting the ball on the floor. He needs to be able
to dribble up to 2 or 3 times without creating a turnover.  He often
initiates the first pass after a made basket, from the defensive rebound,
and so he needs to be able to bring the ball up with one or two dribbles and
a nice outlet pass, when the opportunity presents itself.  He can be a good
passer; he tends to favor passing so that the receiver can pick the ball up
off the dribble other than having to catch and then dribble.  Enough on my
favorite player, Vitaly.  (grin).

This lineup has Paul Pierce as small forward.  Paul has several excellent
moves to the basket, which is where we should be sending him, as much as
possible.  He draws many fouls, and makes decent % of his free throws.  He
is also somewhat intimidating.  On the defensive end, he has some shot
blocking capability.  We all agree that Paul needs to get more focused on
the game itself, and improve his man to man defense, and learn to rotate off
of double teams.  Paul can also hurt the other team with his perimeter three
point shot, so Walker doesn't need to even attempt those anymore (please).

Lastly, in this lineup, use Dan Fortson as the power forward.  Dan needs to
work on his defense, but in the meantime, his job is to rebound at both ends
of the court.  I don't think Dan and Vitaly on the floor at the same time
would be a problem, because they play so differently that their normal flow
of movements really do not conflict.  Dan stays under the basket, period;
all the time.  Let him stay there, and let Vitaly block out for rebounds on
the other side of Dan.  The Celtics should be able to stop second chance
points for other teams and gain them for ourselves.  This strategy will also
facilitate Vitaly's new two step loud in yo face slam dunk move that I want
him to learn.  (wide evil grimace).

How many slashers from other teams will want to take a chance driving to the
basket with Danny and Vitaly waiting for them, and Paul Pierce chasing them
in, ready to time a shot blocking, loud rejection?  You think teams will get
easy layups on us like they have in the past?  No way.  Then with an outlet
pass off the defensive rebound to a running Antoine or Anderson either of
whom can STILL dish it back to a trailing Paul Pierce.... Now.. get this,
even after that, we still have Vitaly to shoot a short range jumper as a
trailer, as Danny moves into place for an offensive rebound. This scenario
is the typical beginning of a Celtic offensive set; which starts as a fast
break.  Don't forget that Dan Fortson also has a short range jumper.  Where
do you think the opposing team's big man shot blocker will be at this point?
Most of them are either slow and/or lazy and would be bringing up the rear.
We could knock down 2's and 3's before their defense even gets set.

What we do, is blitzkrieg the other team from the opening tip.  This
strategy includes a psyche job on the other team.  Demoralize them,
humiliate them, confuse their offensive sets, run their legs off, intimidate
them, and build up a double digit lead by half way through the second
quarter.

I await your comments and criticisms.

LadyNada